Subaru Outbacks

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Whats the deal with the transmission?

So it’s kinda hard to explain but the torque converter drives an intermediate pump shaft that spins the fluid pump. It’s held to the torque converter with a snap ring/circlip. Well my snap ring broke and the shaft stayed stuck in the transmission when the torque converter pulled out with the engine. On Subarus you’re supposed to make sure the torque converter stays in the transmission when you pull the engine—I did not do that because I’m an idiot lol.

I need to build this tool to get that intermediate shaft out. Once it’s out I can install it onto the torque converter with a new snap ring and bobs my uncle.

88F1F90E-8761-448D-AB64-072CFA95B8BD.jpeg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Seem to be a lot of Subaru owners that don’t know what preventative maintenance is. I’ve been seeing a lot of these types of cars in the classifieds (maybe it’s the cars not the owners 🤔)
FIFM 😂

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
The further I dig the more I think the JDM engine would be the smart/logical choice. I dunno we’ll see I’m sure that metal is to be found in every inch of this motor. I still want to find the bearing(s) that let loose so I’ll keep pulling it down.

The metal on the magnet combined with a filter that is unknown amount of use suggests that the motor is loaded with metal

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Removed the timing cover—what a pain getting all those bolts out! I actually broke the dang thing as it would not come off a dowel pin and it’s made out of glass haha. 5AC7A7B2-EFE7-4578-AC75-550410349980.jpeg9792631A-CEDA-48C9-A284-13CA80BED11E.jpegFE9CE298-F287-458A-A8ED-30FF173AC679.jpeg

Next thing was pulling out the timing chains and all the components. The the backing plate which had almost as many bolts as the timing cover.

Look at the sludge in this engine! 😳

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Snapped my sweet Pittsburg hex bit like a twig in an attempt to pull the heads—weird.

Ordered a Snap-On hopefully it’ll do the job.

Starting to think I’d be better off spending my time and money working on something cool…. 😂

Trate D

I drove this rental Subaru from Utah to CT after thanksgiving. And as much as I want to hate it, I gotta admit I kinda love it.
We picked up a new outback from @TurboMinivan in may of this year. Since then my wife has logged 12k miles and loves it. She was nervous to go from a big suv to an outback but so far I think she is very happy. Safety systems work great and Apple car play is very nice for using maps.