subway trail in Zions national park

sibeta

I am heading down to do the subway in Zions next week. The Zions website says you need at least 100 feet of rope to get through certain spots. Has anybody done this hike in Zions? I have seen some videos of the sections where they use ropes. Anybody have any old climbing ropes around collecting dust that they dont mind getting wet?

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
First it is Zion National park, the bank named Zions has not purchased it yet.

Keep an eye on the water volume and maybe take someone with you that has experience in the narrows. Hope you can get a permit and I wouldn't trust my life to just "old ropes", it also sounds like you don't have any experience with rappelling etc. don't be another statistic and take someone with experience or go with a guide.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The subway is not very technical. Most people take rope just in case. You can use rope or webbing. Webbing will be cheaper. There are technical canyons that enter the subway that require ropes. The subway is a fun entry level canyon.

sibeta

Yeah obviously we will be checking the weather. i should have prefaced my post by stating that this is not my first time in slot canyons. We have been climbing and rapelling for years...just not in the last 5 or 6 years. Yes, i have a permit. They have a system that you sign up for a permit months in advance. You select the days you want to go. Then, since the demand is so high for permits they basically draw names out of a hopper. They allow 80 permits per day. As i have been researching the hike, i can tell that it is not super techinical. I just wanted to see if anyone had done it and had a rope i could buy or use.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
We have a new rope that my wife has had in dry storage for a few years, she also has a harness and shoes that she wore only 2 or 3 times. If you are interested I can see how much she wants for it.

It would help if you put your location in your profile.