Super duty axle seal tool

Tebbsjeep

Does anyone in the Davis /weber county area have the front hub seal driver tool for the super duty axles? I would like to borrow it if you are willing.

Ashcat

The seal does not bottom out! This is a engineer/manufacture/dealer gotcha feature. The trick is measure the location of the old seal BEFORE removing them and pressing the new seals to same spec. Ford wouldn’t allow me to see their tooling or fixtures but once I had one, I could duplicate the other. This was on my ‘04.

Tebbsjeep

Good to know. We'll be sure to measure the old seals. He has already changed over to manual locking hubs, so the only real purpose these seals serve anymore is to keep that little needle bearing on the back clean. Unless I'm missing something.

Tebbsjeep

Well @Mouse did us a solid and let me borrow his homemade tool. It worked like a charm using @Ashcat advice about measuring the placement of the old seals. Now, if only my brother had remembered to put the dust shield on before torquing the hub bolts down, and then repeating that work again, only to realize that the dust shield was on backwards. So on round three we got it right. The next side went together without a hitch. Except that the spacer that goes on the stub shaft before the hub bearing was discovered laying on the leaf spring. 🤦‍♂️ That's what you get for rushing.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well @Mouse did us a solid and let me borrow his homemade tool. It worked like a charm using @Ashcat advice about measuring the placement of the old seals. Now, if only my brother had remembered to put the dust shield on before torquing the hub bolts down, and then repeating that work again, only to realize that the dust shield was on backwards. So on round three we got it right. The next side went together without a hitch. Except that the spacer that goes on the stub shaft before the hub bearing was discovered laying on the leaf spring. 🤦‍♂️ That's what you get for rushing.

Run it! Bearings/schmearings