SUP's any experience?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Have any of you guys fished off of these inflatables? What was your experience like doing it?

I've fished off my SUP a number of times. It helps to strap a small cooler on to have somewhere to sit and to put the fish. I like it but you do drift a ways while focusing on fishing. It's not a problem except on smaller lakes.

ID Bronco

I have a couple of the previous model of this Advanced Elements model. We have enjoyed them for years. They are made much better than the average consumer item like the one linked to above. I'd be willing to part with one if it is something you are interested in. "Child" in the above statement is the key word - this kind of thing isn't big enough for two adults.

I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, did it come through?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That looks like a rebranded version of the two cheapish ones we got this summer. Same bag and items too. Ours work very well. It’s actually quite fun. The manual pump sucks, unless you consider it a workout.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That looks like a rebranded version of the two cheapish ones we got this summer. Same bag and items too. Ours work very well. It’s actually quite fun. The manual pump sucks, unless you consider it a workout.

Good to know, thanks Shane! I will have my CO2 tank for airing up... I'll try rig it so I can fill that way. :)

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Greg,
I would say that looks like a good option for a flatwater occasional use option or a lets see if we like it trial. If that's all you need it will probably be great. If the Mrs. is interested in running it down river or trying to surf you may want to consider spending the dough to go to something more substantial. The less expensive ones tend to be a bit floppy when put up against moving water. If you are going to spend money on a better board go into the HALA store in Steamboat (sice your there anyway). They are probably the best available and you can get one that has been a demo or closeout at their retail store.

Greg

Admin
Greg,
I would say that looks like a good option for a flatwater occasional use option or a lets see if we like it trial. If that's all you need it will probably be great. If the Mrs. is interested in running it down river or trying to surf you may want to consider spending the dough to go to something more substantial. The less expensive ones tend to be a bit floppy when put up against moving water. If you are going to spend money on a better board go into the HALA store in Steamboat (sice your there anyway). They are probably the best available and you can get one that has been a demo or closeout at their retail store.

I went ahead and ordered it yesterday, due to the time crunch. I think we'll try this one out and see if we like it, perhaps upgrade to a better quality one in the future. I don't know how much rough water use we'd use a SUP for, probably just mild waters. I'm planning to take this one to Baja and use it in some of the more calm bays to get out and explore.

Good suggestion on used ones at the HALA store! I'll have to stop by, I may be up there Monday or Tues. ;)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The manual pump sucks, unless you consider it a workout.

We use a $12 Walmart 12v mattress blower to get them full, then manual pump to pressure, and it’s not too bad.
Also use the air compressor in our truck sometimes. Also works well.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I went ahead and ordered it yesterday, due to the time crunch. I think we'll try this one out and see if we like it, perhaps upgrade to a better quality one in the future. I don't know how much rough water use we'd use a SUP for, probably just mild waters. I'm planning to take this one to Baja and use it in some of the more calm bays to get out and explore.

Good suggestion on used ones at the HALA store! I'll have to stop by, I may be up there Monday or Tues. ;)

Did you get a chance to try out the board on your trip?

Greg

Admin
Did you get a chance to try out the board on your trip?

We did! It was awesome, but the 2-3' swells kept us paddle board newbies either seated down or on our knees. The sea was a little rough on the first 2 days, but temps were in the 70's. After that, the winds really kicked up, the sea was rough and temps were much colder, so we only got to play with it a little. Both of us ended up swimming, with the rough water! X-D It was fun, took more effort to paddle around than I thought it would! The ROC we got off Amazon was good, it was nice to break it down and store in a bag for travel. Airing it up is a PITA, as @Herzog said!