Surface rust ?

NYCEGUY01

So, anyone had had good luck with the spray on stuff to neutralize surface rust ?
I have a project that had a bunch of of bare metal and fab done and left in the back of a shop for a year.
Its now, of course, all rusty..lol
Not scaly heavy stuff but just bare metal in a shop surface rust.

I know the "Right" way would to be to tear it all apart and blast it all and paint or powder it all but it may need more fab or repairs before its actually ready for that.
At some point ill use Steel-It as the top coat but I dont want any more rust forming that will start to actually be an issue...

Heres a pic of the rear axle for reference...

axle.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There are several aerosol products that will neutralize the rust and turn it to purple/black primer. "Extend" is one of them. It will leave the rest of the bare steel clear. Treat it exactly like spray paint, many THIN coats.

Just Google "rust neutralizer" and you'll see plenty of products.

NYCEGUY01

There are several aerosol products that will neutralize the rust and turn it to purple/black primer. "Extend" is one of them. It will leave the rest of the bare steel clear. Treat it exactly like spray paint, many THIN coats.

Just Google "rust neutralizer" and you'll see plenty of products.

I found like 50 products.
Just wanted to hear if anyone had good luck or if its snake oil, and if anyone had better luck with one or another...
Really dont want to tear this thing down to the frame...lol

robbierobot

I've been using stuff called Corroseal latey and been very happy with it. Not sure if it can be sprayed but does brush on well.

Brad J

I've been using stuff called Corroseal latey and been very happy with it. Not sure if it can be sprayed but does brush on well.
How much prep work have you done when you used it? My 99 F250's frame is completely covered in surface rust. Did you paint over it when done? I need to do something soon to stop the rust.

robbierobot

How much prep work have you done when you used it? My 99 F250's frame is completely covered in surface rust. Did you paint over it when done? I need to do something soon to stop the rust.
The normal knock off loose stuff with a wire wheel clean/degrease and brush it on. Turns a black color and ibecomes treated/primed for whatever paint you want to go with. I've used POR-15 lots as well but that gets expensive and needs UV protection so you'll be painting anyway...

NYCEGUY01

I ordered a gallon of the corroseal to try it out..
Too many projects and I havent gotten to it yet.
Still deciding what parts are gonna end up in what truck or if this is a new project all its own...lol