synthetic oils

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I think it is worth it in the gear boxes and diffs. I run it in my engines but I am not sure it is worth the cost.

78mitsu

I run Valvoline full synthetic in both the engines in my 05GP and my 02K1500, I changed the truck at 24000 miles and noticed a 2-2.5 MPG increase in fuel economy, and the engine seemed a little peppier, in the car I got almost a 5 mpg increase, I changed it at about 26000 miles. With engines if it has more then 70,000 miles on it Don't switch to synthetic, every seal in the motor will start pushing oil. as far as the gearboxes go. Redline if you need synthetic gear lube.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I am switching everything I own to synthetic on a rolling basis (as things get resealed LOL ). It just plain sticks to metal better, and that's GOT to help at startup.

My seals are not leaking, I switched this truck at 150k, and have put about 5k on it so far, mostly hauling a 3k lb load, so if it's gonna happen, I'm sure it would have by now. I am not sure how much of an urban legend the whole seal issue is anyway. ;)

78mitsu

Tacoma said:
I am switching everything I own to synthetic on a rolling basis (as things get resealed LOL ). It just plain sticks to metal better, and that's GOT to help at startup.

My seals are not leaking, I switched this truck at 150k, and have put about 5k on it so far, mostly hauling a 3k lb load, so if it's gonna happen, I'm sure it would have by now. I am not sure how much of an urban legend the whole seal issue is anyway. ;)

I've seen seals start to leak after switching to synthetic, it depends more on what you were running before, if you are running Valvoline, it isn't such a big deal because it already has seal conditioners in it. but an older engine, say a '80s chevy or ford it'll push oil.

Black Label

Owner Black Label Design
Why dont you guys that want to run syn. switch to the syn oil that has been in bussines for over 35 years. I have and run AMSOIL syn. in all my rigs. and for 50,000 some odd miles my powerstroke has not leaked, motor or trans or t-case or axles. My Jeeps all run it, keeps them cooler on the trails. Plus it has helped my MPG. And if you have a newer rig chances are it has syn in the diffs.

74highboy

i switched my nissan sentra over to syn and the oil pan started leaking 3,000 miles after i did so i changed the gasket helped for awhile but now its started to again

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I hear a lot on Amsoil and Redline, but how about others like Royal Purple and etc? I've also considered the switch but don't want to buy junk when I do it...

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I swapped my CJ T-case, front, and rear over years ago. I like it so far.

I just put Valvoline Synth. in my Manual trans and T-case in my powerstroker. It seems to shift a little smoother. I would run it in the engine, but that is a lot of $.

Last edited:

Black Label

Owner Black Label Design
Ok go to amsoil.com and sniff aroud there look at the FAQ's and what people are running it in. Take a look at the history, over 35 years in the syn businesses moblie is just getting into it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I ran the Mobil try-syn in my jeeps and noticed a little extra power.

for amsil go to www4x4oil.com He's a guy on another board and is really nice and will have the best prices. i've never run amsoil but I've never heard a bad thing about it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
78mitsu said:
I run Valvoline full synthetic in both the engines in my 05GP and my 02K1500, I changed the truck at 24000 miles and noticed a 2-2.5 MPG increase in fuel economy, and the engine seemed a little peppier, in the car I got almost a 5 mpg increase, I changed it at about 26000 miles. With engines if it has more then 70,000 miles on it Don't switch to synthetic, every seal in the motor will start pushing oil. as far as the gearboxes go. Redline if you need synthetic gear lube.

Good stuff, eh?

Wouldn't the OEM's ALL pick up on that and recommend/require it to meet CAFE requirements? That's a he!! of an increase for them to ignore. "GM recommends that you break in your engine with 'normal' oil and switch over to synthetic at xx,xxx miles........."

They kill to get that kind of an increase. That's over 10% on your truck (probably more) and similar on your car.

78mitsu

mbryson said:
Good stuff, eh?

Wouldn't the OEM's ALL pick up on that and recommend/require it to meet CAFE requirements? That's a he!! of an increase for them to ignore. "GM recommends that you break in your engine with 'normal' oil and switch over to synthetic at xx,xxx miles........."

They kill to get that kind of an increase. That's over 10% on your truck (probably more) and similar on your car.

I think Newer motors definatly benifit more from synthetic. where they're all roller cams and close tollerances on the bearings. you definatly get some of the horsepower back that the oil pump takes away with thicker oil. I change the oil every 10000 miles on the truck now and the car just got it's second case full of oil at 5000 miles still clean and slick.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
I think it is worth it in the gear boxes and diffs. I run it in my engines but I am not sure it is worth the cost.
I pretty much agree. I have full synthetic in my PSD and I can't tell any difference. The only reason I run it is for the longer oil change intervals, since I only put about 8K a year on it, I change it once a year.