Dodge T-case fit?

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I have a 99 Durango with the part time/full time t-case in it.
Can I use a regular case out of say a Cherokee? Like off a auto Trans. Cherokee is what a 203? And my case is a I think a 242.
I suspect they mount the same to the Trans, I may need to change the input on the case?

Send from my mobile thingy. Never while driving though.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I guess I tell you what i'm trying to accomplish.

Just want to be able to do gear reduction without going broke.
I can get my hands on a t-case out of a 90 cherokee with a Tera-low and slip yoke eliminator already installed.

Send from my mobile thingy. Never while driving though.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The case with the teralow is likely a 231. I'll assume you are going for the low range gearing, because the high range is still 1:1 with the teralow (I assume you know that.)
I don't know what the spline count is on the Durango, so I'm not much help there. I don't know for sure, but I am fairly sure the jeep case will match the durango bolt pattern.

Really, I have nothing that helps.:)

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I know my 2000 Cherokee came with a NP242, I swapped it to a NP231, the main difference witht he NP cases are the spline count and the length of the input gear(other then shift options). From what I have seen by taking a few 231's apart, a 242, and a 249 apart. most everything is interchangeable between cases of the same number class. I have also read the you can use the sprockets and wider chain of the 231HD (in your Durango) in a 231 case as a wide chain upgrade... I haven't done this so only speaking of things I have read.... but here is a good read with pics of both cases (they look the same). Everything I have found and read about this suggests that the 231HD will fit in a XJ, so why not the other way around?

If you do run the Tera low, I have been told if the speed-o is registering(while in 4 low) your over spinning it and overheating it, which can burn up the washers and planets in the reduction planetary. So be careful of that. If you don't use it, pass the deal on to me! I might have a use for it ;) good luck! post the results if you do so the next guy will know how it went...