t mobile (tmobile) coverage in Utah?

cackalak

I'm looking to switch carriers, as AT&T's prices have gotten a little over the top. Plus the fact they don't do contracts (or phone subsidies), so I'm pretty much done with them.

T-Mobile seems to have good pricing, and from what I hear, decent coverage. But those are from people that stay within city limits. Just wondering what your experiences have been when in the back country. Thanks.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
T-Mobile coverage in the back country isn't good at all. I've been a ton of places with Wasatch Cruisers where everyone else have coverage and I don't. I don't really care but it just isn't great outside of the cities.

Same experience as Nate. In the city, the coverage and speed is good. As you get outside of the city, T-mobile coverage < AT&T coverage < Verizon coverage.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have TMobile. No service in parts of herriman, Bacchus hwy, parts of the east side, no service once I leave the valleys. Worste service ever. But it costs me $26/month so I keep it.
Don't expect it to be reliable or save your life. Travel with friends with Verizon, and you'll be ok.

Real life examples: in the swell, I can't make a phone call, Verizon can stream videos.

Driving I-15 to St George, I lose service around filmore, pick it up once or twice in between, but mostly without, and then pick it up in st George again.

Last edited:

B2-Bomber

Most providers will have been moved away from contracts in the next year or so.

Now they go for full- pop pricing/financing of devices at hundreds, and hundreds of dollars.

So basically you pay your 2 year contract up front under the guise of buying a device. If you're unable to pay it up front, they'll finance it. And since it's for physical merchandise, you have to pay for it in full either way. It's sneaky.

I liken it to a taxi company selling you a whole car,and then still charging you to drive you around in it. But hey "there's no contract"

Sorry, just got a new phone and am still a little pissed about the new changes

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So basically you pay your 2 year contract up front under the guise of buying a device.
you have to pay for it in full either way. It's sneaky.

I think this is the way things have been done for hundreds of years..
If you want something, you pay for it.
It's not sneaky, it's honest.
The 2 year contracts at higher rates and a 'free phone' was the sneaky way to do things.

Cascadia

Undecided
I had t mobile until I started desert racing. I was tired of not having any service in the desert. So we switched to AT&T and have had service at every race since. I like t mobile in the city. But we also didn't have service in lots of areas in st. George.

B2-Bomber

What i meant was they raised the cost of the devices to get their long- term money, after decades of not doing that. They conditioned their customers to expect that the cost of the device was a short term expense,and the long- term expense was paid monthly.

*sneaky.

For example, I've been with the same provider for 11 years. Historically i never paid more than $100 for a middle-of- the road device. Because of new contract signing, or "upgrades" that came in between those.

Last week, it had been 13 months since my new contract. Where i got an S5 active for $50. I was eligible for an "upgrade" i bought the second From the bottom Samsung device they had, it was $580 plus tax. Between my wife, and myself we've had every numerical iteration of the galaxy, as well as the galaxy alpha, and galaxy grand prime. Never paid over $100.

And the reason i bought the 2nd from the bottom was because the bottom Samsung they had was actually a lesser device than the S5 active i got a year ago.

They told me i had an "upgrade" like every year past. which got me into the store, but the upgrade saved almost nothing.

*sneaky

Just in case anyone was wondering why not a different brand of phone, is because i use a special app for work that is designed for Samsung devices, and isn't guaranteed to work on other brands. An employee tried an LG,it worked but had glitches. Sadly a badly designed app I'm sure. But I'm limited to that one.

Last edited:

Caleb

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile about three months ago. Worst thing I ever did. If you want to be able to use your phone...ever...don't do it. I can't carry on a conversation with someone if I'm moving (walking, driving, etc) as I will always drop the call. It's become a joke with my wife and I because it happens so often. Even if I have full coverage on LTE, their speeds are terrible (tops, 5mb download). Thinking it may just be my device, I checked my wife's, same thing. I asked my buddy that said it was good for him and was the one that convinced me to switch in the first place and he said his speeds were good. So we ran a few speed tests and he wasn't able to get anything faster than 5mb either.

I'm planning to switch to Verizon so I can get coverage up at my cabin, probably do it this weekend. If you only want a lower cost, then go for it, but there are cheaper options if you don't care about coverage. If you care about coverage and cost, att is your best bet. If you want the best coverage, I think Verizon is probably the winner. (I never had coverage issues really with att, but I know verizon is a little better off the beaten path).

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was under the impression that AT&T used the same towers? I know when I am out of TMobile coverage, I often show at&t on my phone... Either way, TMobile is by far the worste.

Caleb

Towers themselves may be shared but they each have their own equipment. They also all operate on difference channels and bands. This page here has a pretty good explanation on that.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
T-Mobile coverage in the back country isn't good at all.

Perhaps, but this is a complete non-issue if you have a ham radio on board. :p

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile almost two years ago. I haven't noticed much difference in my day-to-day usage. Any time I venture "off the beaten path" I will have a ham radio at my disposal, so I've never been concerned about a lack of phone service in the mountains.

(shrug)

Jeepj667

It may not save you much, needing a Samsung, but I've bought our last two phones off Amazon. I've got a Nexus 6 (top tier phone) for $200 (black Friday). I just got my wife a Moto G4 (nice) for $150. They are unlocked so you just have to put in your sim card.