Tandem trailers

iamjimbrady

So I'm moving from Washington to Arizona. Does anyone know if it's legal to tow tandem trailers in Idaho, Utah, and Arizona? I know you can't in Washington.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is one trailer a gooseneck or 5th wheel? I think Arizona requires that, but I'm not sure. All of those states have maximum lengths though. Utah will sell you an overlength permit, but AZ won't. I believe it's 65 feet bumper to bumper in both. I think Idaho is 70'.

iamjimbrady

No it's not. I was planning to flat tow my Jeep and put my off-road trailer inside the semi trailer. It's looking now like I won't have enough room in the semi trailer now. I figured flat towing my Jeep followed by the off-road trailer wouldn't be acceptable but....

Now I'm looking to either sell my trailer and build another or make a second trip. Ugh

4x4_Welder

I've seen it plenty in ID. I built my gooseneck with a heavy enough rear frame to handle a hitch, but wound up not installing one.
I see a lot of bumper pull campers with smaller boats behind them.

boogie_4wheel

Utah allows double with the first being a bumper. Arizona requires the first to be a 5th/goose.

Plenty of people cross into AZ at Page (for the lake) and don't get hassled, but could be expensive to attempt a run to Flag +.