Tap and die set advice

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am looking to pick up a decent tap and die set. I don't know what brands are good or anything like that. I have been buying 1 or 2 here and there as I need them and would like to just purchase a fairly comprehensive set. What are you guys having luck with?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've been considering the 114 piece set from Gearwrench

I have that kit at work and use it often. I have broken a few taps taping holes where I didn't think they should have broken and was disappointed. I really like the idea of the ratcheting handles, but the stupid things reverse direction by themselves several times during the job. I have to remember to keep my thumb on the reverse lever to keep it from switching over. Drives me nuts. I do like the many options for taping holes though. Like the attachment that will let me put it on an extension with a ratchet. That is very handy. I made my work pay for the kit so I'm not out any money. Would I pay for my own set? I don't think I would.

I have an old Craftsman kit...Like 20 years old at home. Just an old simple kit and it has never failed me. Of course that was before they moved to china. You could also try some of the top name machine tool brands. They are more money for sure, but not sure if the quality is better. One thing is for sure, breaking a tap in a hole is no fun.

lhracing

I have a OLD Craftsman set of SAE and it has been great.

I just picked up a Irwin metric set and it looks nice but I have not used them yet.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My latest addition to the tap and die set is a set of tap sockets from Lisle tool. They have a rubber insert and hold the tap securely whenever I want to use a ratchet with a tap. They work very well. View attachment 132439
I have the same set of Tap Sockets....love them.

I have a crappy HF set that I NEVER use because every time I've tried they suck. I think the taps are just mild steel. Might work for a thread cleaner, but not tapping new threads unless you're exclusively in plastic or whipped cream. All my good taps were bought individually, so I'm watching all the recommendations here with interest. :cool:

DAA

Rocking a Craftsman set that was my Dad's. At least 40 years old. Just ordered the Lisle socket set - have Irwin socket adapter that kinda sucks.

- DAA

I've had a snap-on metric set (actually blue point) for about 30 years. Nothing bad to say, except that I broke an 8mm tap several years ago tapping something difficult. I'm guessing they will replace it whenever I have it and run into a snap on guy?

Kirk

I have Irwin/Hansen sets and like them - they replaced the harbor freight sets. I did break one Irwin tap because I was in a hurry and used it in my cordless drill to speed things up :) Not recommended apparenltly - I think they replaced it for free.

OldGeezer

I have a really old Craftsman fractional set and a much newer metric set. The metric set looks like poorer quality. And a Matco set for larger than half inch sizes. The metric and Matco's are mostly used to clean up threads. The old Craftsman's get used for everything. I have broken a few but I buy new ones and grind the ends of the broken ones to make them into bottoming taps, if there's enough meat left on them.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
A few of my old harbor freight taps have been ground down into bottoming taps. Not because they were broken, but because I needed one and harbor freight taps are cheap. Maybe I will grind my whole set down after I buy a good set :D

jsudar

I have a set of Vermont American taps and dies that I have been very happy with. The are at least fifteen, maybe twenty years old. Can't remember for sure. I got them at Ace Hardware. They lasted through my automotive repair career and are still going strong now that I have my "machine shop" in my garage and use them quite frequently. I have not had any of them break, but I find I'm not as hard on things as some. I also have some Snap-On taps and dies that have not disapointed, but again $$$. Just use cutting oil. It helps. A lot.