Tap and die set advice

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well I think my wife bought me the more expensive Harbor Freight metric tap and die set for Christmas.
I've done ok with a cheapo set for a couple years but I'll report on the quality. I'm sold on the idea of getting them at a place that doesn't ask questions about broken tools on their lifetime warranty...

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well I think my wife bought me the more expensive Harbor Freight metric tap and die set for Christmas.
I've done ok with a cheapo set for a couple years but I'll report on the quality. I'm sold on the idea of getting them at a place that doesn't ask questions about broken tools on their lifetime warranty...

So, if you break a HF tap, they will just swap it out like most tools? That sounds too good to be true. :)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That's what I'm told.
It's got decent reviews. For $85 (before the coupon) it won't break my heart or the bank.

I've had a cheaper set for a couple years with no breakage. This isn't for day in and day out machine work. I mostly repair motorcycles and they tend to have smaller fasteners and lots of tap work is done on aluminum. I don't expect to be going nuts.
I think a man's got to know his limitations.

I'm sure there are better sets but knock on wood I've never had a single question or trouble with hand tools warranties at HF. My trail tools are mostly from there and I've never hesitatated to use the 1/2" rachet-hammer.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Jinxed... 1/4-20 down!

View attachment 134760

No worries, part (tool*) saved. Welded a nut to the exposed end of the tap and backed ‘er out.
View attachment 134761
View attachment 134762

Here’s what I was making; lathe bump-trueing tool. I finished out the hole with a FMT 1/4-20 bottoming tap that I had. The HF tap only had about 2 more threads to cut before it was through the 1/2” keystock material.
I think the HF tap honestly was just me not backing it up often enough to break chips, but it is what it is! It broke.
View attachment 134763
View attachment 134764
View attachment 134765
Let us know how the warranty works out.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Similar to STAG's small parts bumping tool. I made mine double sided so I could bump the part in either parallel or perpendicular to the lathe's axis. It is a simple and easy to make shop tool that is invaluable when truing up small parts in the lathe. Piece of 1/2" keystock, couple of bearings and a couple of shoulder bolts and you're done.

a5449a5f939afbe2321c57af4cfdd313.jpg

718c13a0a8e8ed19776eae3695ff3d5a.jpg

95df9b8abdcfc441b774d6f072c1449e.jpg

As for the topic of tap & die sets, I'm kind of anal about cutting threads. When most people reference tap & die sets they are referring to cast taps & dies that are usually only good for chasing or cleaning threads and in the $100-$250 price range.

If you want a real tap & die set for cutting new threads I would encourage you to spend a few dollars more and get ones made of HSS. I prefer either Morse or Greenfield but the last set I purchased was the house brand from Fastenal. I had to purchase two sets as they didn't have one master set. An SAE set and a Metric set but they are HSS and have been excellent quality. I've had my FMT (Fastenal Machine Tooling) sets for about 5 years now and have worked flawlessly.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I don’t have a QCTP so my single-ended version works for both parallel and perpendicular for me.

I’ve been saving up to buy a real lathe. It WILL happen this year. Most likely going to go with a brand new Precision Matthews. (About $6-7k)

You won't regret it. I've had my PM1340GT since 2014 and it still is a joy to run. Love that lathe.

Mike

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don’t have a QCTP so my single-ended version works for both parallel and perpendicular for me.

I’ve been saving up to buy a real lathe. It WILL happen this year. Most likely going to go with a brand new Precision Matthews. (About $6-7k)

Look up my younger bro Broc @ MSC and see if he can get that for you? I've never tried to buy a lathe from him but his tools and prices are pretty decent.