Toyota Tcase swaps on 3rd gen+ 4runners/tacos?

Coco

I have been thinking of getting a newer toyota, and had this thought for a while about doing an SAS on a 3.4L V6 runner or taco. I was wondering if it is possible to swap the current t case the newer 4runners, and tacomas come with, with say dual top shift t cases? And by doing so go to a passenger side drop axle rather than a drivers side? Otherwise I am sure a Trail Gear kit is in the future.

Some good reasons for the advantage of doing a swap would be

1. options of running dual cases
2. gear driven t case rather than chain
3. lower gear options

Anyway, thought I would throw that question out there, and see what happens. I know some have built these newer rigs, and maybe they have seen first-hand if they would work or not. :)

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
you will need this adapter to run a gear driven case/dual cases,
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/t/c-adapters/1995-2004-5vz-fe-34-liter-v6-drivetrains
and then you will need to use a pass drop axle.

OR, you can run this crawlbox setup with the factory chain case, gining you dual cases and allowing you to run a driver drop axle;
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transf...drive-unit-left-hand-output-chain-drive-tcase

OR, you can get the first metioned adapter, then a normal crawlbox then a normal dual case adapter THEN one of these sweet honeys, which will give you gear drive case AND driver drop!
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/single/lefty-left-hand-drop-geared-transfer-case

but at that point you would be in it SOOO much money you might as well get one of these :D

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/atlas-4-speed/

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
what he said it would be alot of money or just get a right hand adapter and use a normal toyota front axle and then you can use a lower geared case bu im not sure about the right hand adapter for late model yotas they might not make it to fit older transfer cases

Coco

Holy crap! does the stock cases have gear reduction options? I was thinkin they would be expensive but damn!

Is there any interferences with changing the axle drop to passenger side?

nrspence

Ya the gearing options are expensive. After moab im going to start saving up to do a SAS. I want to do the right hand adapter and use a toyota front axle.
Nate

lewis

Fight Till You Die
If I had to do it over I would run a hybrid housing with toy parts in it and keep it drivers side and run 35" tires. Thats me though.

Coco

WHy not run the new front taco width driver drop Rock Assault housing? with Dirty 30s and all that?

Max Power

Bryce
WHy not run the new front taco width driver drop Rock Assault housing? with Dirty 30s and all that?
That would be a great option but is spendy for all the goodies to go with it. You would probably want dirty 30's, Six shooter knuckles, Chromo hub gears and arp hub studs. You also could easily spend another grand to 1500 building a front 3rd.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

You thinking about lee's runner again? :D

Sadly there are no t-case gear reduction kits for the stock case in a taco/96+4runner. :(

Those trucks cost a lot more to build up compared to the old pickups, but once they are built, they're pretty cool. They'll never hold their value once they're built up. You'll spend $15k on the truck, then $10k on the lift/gears/axles, extra things you didn't think you needed, and then you'll only be able to sell it for $16k. But as long as you know that going in, you're good. Just don't expect it to be worth much more than stock.

Talk to Nick, he knows a ton about what you can and can't do. I would definitely go with 60s or the new TG wider rock assault housing, but that starts adding up quick like Max Power said. I would rather stay ifs than try and cram a narrow '70-85 mini truck solid axle under there.

Last edited: