Suzuki TDI Swapped Samurai Truck Conversion

The_Lobbster

Makes me want it. haha
I would love to build a buggy with one of the newer 2.0 common rail engines. I've been researching for a few months trying to figure out how a guy could run one standalone without breaking the bank. Unfortunately there isn't much on the market yet for it, at least that is cheap. And the ECU needs all the canbus connections to run properly.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Been thinking about a TDI buggy too... I was going to put my ALH in the Willys CJ2A with an AW4 and Dana 300, but its too long. Could be a great light buggy drivetrain.

But, I have too many projects and not enough time at home already. :(

4x4_Welder

I would love to build a buggy with one of the newer 2.0 common rail engines. I've been researching for a few months trying to figure out how a guy could run one standalone without breaking the bank. Unfortunately there isn't much on the market yet for it, at least that is cheap. And the ECU needs all the canbus connections to run properly.
And now with the latest EPA crackdown, you can't even find anyone to tune that out of the ECU.
I gave some serious thought to dropping a turbo IDI VW engine in my old Kia Sportage, maybe get something that resembled mileage out of it, but then life happened.

The_Lobbster

And now with the latest EPA crackdown, you can't even find anyone to tune that out of the ECU.
I gave some serious thought to dropping a turbo IDI VW engine in my old Kia Sportage, maybe get something that resembled mileage out of it, but then life happened.
Even before the crack down, the canbus can’t be “tuned” out. The ecu still can be tuned after the VW “fix”. Most of the people that are using the common rails are using modules that mimic canbus connections, basically fooling the ecu into thinking its running with everything.

The_Lobbster

Ok, I was under the impression you could set it to be the only module on the network.
Unfortunately no. I’ve been talking with a guy that claims he has found a way to get rid of it all and run it standalone, but I haven’t had a chance to research it myself yet. Hopefully I can get my hands on an engine and harness and ecu to experiment sometime.

The_Lobbster

Had my rear driveshaft retubed. Previously I had chopped it in the middle, shortened it, sleeved it, and plug welded it as a temporary shaft, so that I could hit a couple trails last year. No joke, it had about 3/4" of runout, it was awful. But it lasted enough to make it up to forest lake slowly. This should help so that I can actually drive it a little faster than a slow walking speed.

48919212627_34fb40b0c9_c.jpg

The_Lobbster

This is a first, first time with doors and top (top needs customized to fit again) since I've had the flatbed conversion finished up with my new wheels and tires. Kinda digging the look! Still trying to figure out something for the flatbed, been driving me crazy. I would love some sort of aluminum planking, or something similar that's not too heavy, but I can't seem to find anything like that, that isn't $400-$500 minimum. Also the Sami stored the military trailer bed I took off before selling it.

49121761473_11c0a1522f_c.jpg

49121761463_00ba4a91f9_c.jpg

49048349658_97e78d4144_c.jpg

The_Lobbster

Finished up my cage too. Used 2" DOM, and some 3/16" plate, plated the frame, then made sandwich plates for my flatbed, used two 1/2" grade 8 bolts on each side to sandwich together. This probably isn't the absolute best way to do it, but I do believe it's still way better than the factory roll bar alone. Any input or criticism and suggestions will be gladly welcomed!

49059950837_60420e9e4e_c.jpg

49059950832_64257f98f0_c.jpg

The_Lobbster

Adding electric power steering to my rig. This uses the stock sami gear box, but just goes inline the steering column. Got my brackets roughed in so far, but need to finish the upper shaft. I've tried making it a couple times, but have failed, because I can't seem to keep the dang thing straight.

49380840566_53c7de3c4a_c.jpg

49380833181_fbe71f2a4d_c.jpg

49381030012_efd2a48235_c.jpg

49381026967_836a60061e_c.jpg

49380830341_c5e11c1c8a_c.jpg

49380830301_1ca1a0447c_c.jpg

49380369008_01fdc8f962_c.jpg

49380369003_4db9073ddd_c.jpg

Reactions: DAA

The_Lobbster

Because of my trouble making this upper piece, I've decided I need to put it all in a lathe to keep it as straight as I possibly can. My last attempt with using a straight edge apparently failed, because it's way off. I had used a harbor freight impact socket inside the steering slip tube, with the steering shaft inside that. The plan was to cross drill it after welding it, and insert a pin or bolt of some sort, and weld it in place, to make absolutely sure it never breaks. Found a lathe at work and got it up and going, had to pull apart the carriage to get it all working again so I can cut, and rebuild my upper shaft.

49380369088_f0db42c740_c.jpg

49379700316_2b4e6f8d90_c.jpg

49380316008_f94b88af44_c.jpg

The_Lobbster

Dude, thats cool! I wish they'd had that back when I added power steering to my Sami! I went the old Sidekick route. Where did you get it from?
That's still a great setup, especially for some harder wheeling. This is out of a 2008 Nissan Versa, but there is a ton of options. The setup from a 2004-2009 Prius works just as well, but the electric motor is on the other side, and sits closer to where the samurai 1.3 header would be. These setups have really been gaining popularity lately amongst the samurai, and hot rod community because it's easy, cheap, and not a ton of work.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
It is a cool setup for sure. The one downside I see is the extra stress it places on that cute little manual steering box. Maybe it's a non-issue, but I dunno?

It'd be super cool to have an electric/hydraulic ram-assist setup that mounts between the axle and tie-rod - actually reducing the strain on the box.

The_Lobbster

It is a cool setup for sure. The one downside I see is the extra stress it places on that cute little manual steering box. Maybe it's a non-issue, but I dunno?

It'd be super cool to have an electric/hydraulic ram-assist setup that mounts between the axle and tie-rod - actually reducing the strain on the box.
For sure. I have known a lot of people who have wheeled for years on the stock box without issues, and I've talked to a few guys who have used this setup for a few years without any issue. There is a guy in Arizona that does wheels his zuk on 37' and yota axles, and swears by this setup. My problem is, in the engine bay with my TDI engine, I have hardly any extra room for a power steering pump, and even tighter yet after you put the larger sidekick powersteering box in. Overall, I don't do a ton of wheeling, more daily use, and light trail riding, so I think it'll work well for me.

The_Lobbster

Finally got the mini lathe at work, working, chucked up my steering shaft. I wish I would've just done this from the get go. Now I'll need to grind all my welds down, and re weld everything. Not the end of the world though, and at least it'll actually be straight this way. Check out my ghetto fab attempt! My first try at keeping something straight. Once I do get everything welded too, I will be cross drilling and pinning the overlapping shaft parts to make sure absolutely nothing will come loose or break ever.

Last edited: