Tech guys: Help me chose a modem

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I’m tired of renting the xfinity cable modem and I have a stand alone WiFi router. Still have a home phone so these are the only units that will work:

Aris T35

Netgear CM1150V

Stats and prices are close. Any recommendations? I’ve never owned either brand. Thanks!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That seems like a ton of money for a modem. A modem really doesn't do a ton so buying one with all the bells and whistles doesn't get you much. The biggest thing in my opinion is that you need to make sure that xfinity approves of whatever you buy and that it is approved. You can do that here I think. (I don't have xfinity so I can't log in and check.)

Amazon has a bunch that tout being "xfinity approved." I'd look there for something that has good reviews then verify its on xfinitys list before buying it. I wouldn't pay much over $100 for a modem though and even for that much it better be pretty.

A modem is basically a media converter. Your computer talks in digital and the connection coming from the street generally talks in analog. The modem converts the physical cable from coax to CAT and modulates (loads or converts) your digital signal to or on top of an analog one. That sounds complicated but the modem is a one trick pony.

TLDR: don't buy either of those modems you linked above, they are the pretty girl in a dress wearing lipstick where in the case the fat girl with a lazy eye will do just as good.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Just saw you picked those two for compatibility with a home land line. My rec still stands and spend the money you've saved on buying a VOIP internet phone system with the savings. Someone else will have to suggest what to look at on that front because I've never used one, I have heard my co-workers talk about ooma but don't know whether its good or not.

Jay5.9L

Those are the only my two modems Xfinity’s web site lists to certified with voice. I still have kids at home so for the near future I like having a home phone. They can “call” me in our google assistant but it’s not the same.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm running an Ooma Telo for my home line, I think I've been using it for the last 5 years. I like it, voice mails get sent to my email, I haven't had any issues with it, last bill was $18.55.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I also have Comcast Infinity internet, and I also got tired of paying for a (crappy) modem rental... so a few years ago, I did some research to find something better. After reading a number of reviews on cnet (a good site for this type of research), I learned about the then-new dual band ASUS AC1900. When I got to the part of the review where he said this model was "the fastest Wi-Fi router I've tested to date, by far" I knew I had found a winner. Sure enough, this thing has proven to be an excellent performer. It also puts out a good, strong signal. In fact, when I go next door to my sister's house I get a stronger signal from my router than I do from hers. Seriously.

I see its price is now under $140. I don't know if it is compatible with your telephone situation. If it is, I strongly recommend this model.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I just upgraded to a new router (for some reason I don't need a modem with my ISP)... I don't know anything about this stuff, but that's what I was instructed to do - upgrade router no need for modem... Anyways, FWIW, I went with a Netgear AC1200.. and now for anything potentially useful: I really liked their Nighthark app for incredibly easy setup and control of the wireless system.

I doubt this helped.. but I did it yesterday and am pretty pumped on the instant boost in picture quality on the TV and loading speeds. I had no idea a new router would help so much.

shortstraw8

I had an arris close to the one you have posted when I was on comcast, never had issues with it or any other arris modem I have owned.
Netgear for me has been hit or miss with different devices I have purchased over the years not specific to modem, and I have never used/owned a neatgear modem.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I just installed an Arris SB8200 modem on a comcast line and the first thing they did was push a software update to it. That said, they control download speed at the central office. All told, I'm paying for 600Mb/s and typically see 700-720 Mb/s (705 just now during peak working hours)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
probably a better modem, DOCSIS 2 vs 3. Since it slows you down, Comcast is a bit slow to upgrade you. Mine's a DOCSIS 3.1 which supposedly goes up to 10Gb/s (although with only 2 1Gb ports I'm not sure how they get there. Maybe they're 10 G ports not 1G)

shortstraw8

Docsis 3 brought channel bonding which greatly improves bandwidth and hexidecimal support for IPV6. I don't remember the specifics as it has been a few years since I looked into it. Basically the ability to send more data at one time with the data compression that takes place, and docsis 3.1 allows for 10Gbps upload and download.
I briefly read through some docs a while ago so this could be off from what it really is, seeing as I forget how old I am most days:)

Jay5.9L

I’m leaning towards the aris but need to make sure it can use both of the network ports at the same time. One will go to the router and one to the computer. There was a review saying you can only use one at a time which seems stupid.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The second port is for link aggregation and would go to the same device as the first to provide higher bandwidth and redundancy if the connected device supports it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation.
In my case I use only one and connect it to the router. All other devices are connected either directly to the router or through a Gb switch. I have 3 8-port switches scattered around the house and any of the end links can max out my internet connection at 700+ Mb/s

Jay5.9L

That makes sense. I’d rather connect the computer and the router directly to the modem but connecting the computer to the router still works

shortstraw8

Yeah, I fought with "support" about that and they kept saying that it was not possible because it would get confused and cause connectivity issues. After moving up to the "Sr support" with the argument of "what the hell is a MAC address for then", was still told it was impossible.
Had some speed inconsistencies and they sent a tech out, turned out it was just really old cable from the house to the squid. The tech told me they configure some sort of bond between the NICs, my experience with bonding NICs I still connect a cable to each NIC.
I had no issues with bandwidth, I had few servers with 2 NICs each, couple computer towers, 3 TVs, tablets, phones, nest, ring, rachio. After the old service coax was replaced I never had connectivity issues and like frieed typically saw better speeds than I paid for.
Edit: Oh and xbox, switch, wiiU.

Last edited: