Tech guys: Help me chose a modem

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
As long as your router acts as a gateway and has some firewall abilities, you definitely want to connect through the router and not directly to the modem. That way you'll at least get a couple layers of crappy software firewall to protect you.

It's probably confusing because some modems also have fw/router ability. I personally wouldn't trust the modem to also be the router.

The_Lobbster

Sorry to revive this, but just bought a house, got Xfinity, trying to figure out what everybody is currently recommending. Am I better off with a separate modem and router, or are any of the combos decent? I see somebody shared the Asus ac1900 which looks decent, but from what I'm seeing, it's just a router only.

Was also looking at this one here, if anybody wants to suggest for or against it.

Thanks.

RockChucker

i have some netgear modem i got in a router modem twin pack at walmart for like $60 several years ago. It has been fine. That router did finally die and i spent a little more money on a netgear orbi mesh router system. been happy with it.