Tech: hydraulic, fuel, brake Etc, line routing and clamps

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Been searching for a while and haven’t really run across what I’m after (although it’s been many trips down memory lane with some searches). I swear there’s some thread on here about plumbing brake lines which is my next project for my “Jeep”. Couldn’t find it after an hour or so. I’m looking to change up my brake plumbing pretty significantly over the next couple weeks (I need to quit spending $ on my F350) and was just trying to find some cool clamps to run the hard line down my upper control arms. The way I see it, there are a few options for plumbing and their required clamps. Hopefully I’ve missed a few methods (that’s the point of the thread) and someone will have a betterer idea than I’ve puked out in this post.

Adel clamps:
1599415531458.jpeg
essy to get a hold of at the local hardware store. I haven’t had a failure on the few of those I’m using on my “Jeep”. I like how they mount to a flat surface. My control arms are round. I could weld some angle to the arm and mount the adel cleanly but I’m thinking there’s got to be a cooler way?

these look cool and could be used on almost any level of rig. Even less ideal to mount to round tube.
3/8 Tubing Clamp (0.375 I.D.) Twin Series Carbon Steel Hardware

These are Helix style (at least per the interwebs). Not ideal for round tube but I think it could work for round mounting with a little bending? I like the rubber of the above two but lines have mounted without rubber for as long as they’ve made cars.

1599415975319.jpeg

image.jpg
not the greatest pic, but a stock GM weld on clamp from the mid-80s on my 14 bolt. Not sure where to source these but not to hard to cutout/weld on from scrap in your garage.

What other solutions have people found and used with good success?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Billet Specialties has a some awesome line clamps. Maybe not what you want for a beater Jeep, but they worked great on the Sunbeam build.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I welded on some little tabs to secure brake line--same type of thing you'd use on a frame, where the soft line pokes through the hole and is secured with an E clip. I intended to make a version that clamped on with a hose clamp, but never got around to that version. :)

1969honda

Supporting Member
I've seen several people using 3d printed lines clamps lately. If you have access to a printer and a 5th grade with thingyverses experience its definetly a cheap way to get whatever contour you want. My kids are constantly playing in GrabCAD at school and bringing home things they have made.

RockChucker

I did what Carl said and attached them to my control arms with hose clamps.
45B629A9-C0EE-4A9E-A077-522A98077E4B.jpeg530EE756-A312-4456-9109-B7CB4E7D195D.jpeg
For breathers and fuel lines running down the chassis I hammered various sizes of washers into 90s, welded them on and voila, perfect for attaching zip ties. This is also what I used to secure my hard brake lines to the frame and axles (with a small piece of tubing as a chafing insulator).

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Billet Specialties has a some awesome line clamps. Maybe not what you want for a beater Jeep, but they worked great on the Sunbeam build.

I've used the Billet Specialties on a couple of street rods and race cars that I've built but I feel that they're a bit spendy to use if they are buried out of sight. I've also made tabs and used bulkhead fittings as well as the dual hydraulic clamps and Adel clamps from McMaster Carr. Those are very stout as well as reasonable in cost.

Mike