Tent Options

bergdh

Thanks everyone for all the input, its great.

Those springbars really lack the cool factor...;) but ill have to check them out. I guess I should also include a weight size requirement in there as well. Id like to go with something lighter rather then a bigger canvas tent. I havent cross checked the weights but im sure the springbar options are simlar to nylon tents.

Ill look at those asolo and msr tents.

Caleb

the springbar tents weigh about 70lbs.
What size springbar is that? Mine weighs 10-15lbs and can sleep three comfortably, my parent's that sleeps 6 comfortably with gear and everything weighs maybe 30-40lbs with poles and everything. Yes, they weigh a ton more than a nylon tent, but if you're not packing them in, it's not a big deal.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
traveler 5 is 59 family camper 7 is 74 lbs.

I didn't list smaller tents cause I assum he needs a 5 or bigger if he wants to sleep 4 plus gear comfortably.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Does springbar still make backpacking tents? I have a three man one my parents bought brand new in the late 60s thats ripstop nylon and Paul May had a similar one or two man one on the relic run. They are fairly light for their age, super tough, and mine at least is a great four season tent.

Caleb

traveler 5 is 59 family camper 7 is 74 lbs.

I didn't list smaller tents cause I assum he needs a 5 or bigger if he wants to sleep 4 plus gear comfortably.
Yeah, I saw that on their site after I posted. My parent's is the camper 7. It must just not FEEL 74lbs. :D Their site says mines 49lbs. :eek:

DAA

I would never have guessed that either of my Springbars are that heavy either. I mean, I knew they were heavy, but I didn't realize they were THAT heavy. Maybe it's because the tent and poles are in separate bags and I never carry both bags at once.

The weight is not an issue for me though. I've gotten so much trouble free use out of them, that it would be hard to talk me into anything else, regardless of cost or weight. In just the last two weeks I've spent five nights in my smaller Springbar. Two in the Red Desert, in howling winds and sub freezing temps. No drama, warm and dry. Three more nights in the Henry's at higher elevation, temps in the teens, nice and comfy.

- DAA

KWight

I really like my Cabelas XWT Extreme Weather Tent. It weighs 75 pounds but will hold up to 70mph wind gusts and heavy snow. It has a full rain fly and a very large vestibule that I (6'1")can stand up in on one end and a smaller vestibule on the other end. I bought mine after the previous owner used it 1-2 times for under $500 but think you might be able to get the smaller one for around your price range.

You might also look at the Cabelas Alaskan Guide series tent. They are similarly built with the exception of having smaller aluminum or fiberglass poles. I had considered getting one of those before I found mine.

Kevin

KWight

I really like my Cabelas XWT Extreme Weather Tent. It weighs 75 pounds but will hold up to 70mph wind gusts and heavy snow. It has a full rain fly and a very large vestibule that I (6'1")can stand up in on one end, and will fit two grown men and a cooking area. It has a smaller vestibule on the other end that would do fine for taking off wet clothes or muddy boots. I bought mine after the previous owner used it 1-2 times for under $500 but you can get the medium sized one for uder $600:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

You might also look at the Cabelas Alaskan Guide series tent:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

They are similarly built with the exception of having smaller aluminum or fiberglass poles. The largest one can be purchased for well within your price range. I had considered getting one of those before I found mine.

Kevin