Tent recommendations

Houndoc

As my kids grow up we no longer really need our trusted Springbar tent, which is in need of a few repairs.

Looking for new options.

Needs:
Room for 2-3 cots
Good wind tolerance (anyone who camp Staton Creek at Lake Powell knows what I mean)
Well ventilated, even with rain fly.
Reasonably priced.

Suggestions?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Are you still as happy with your tent as you where in that thread?

Very happy, other than the sheer size and weight of the tent when it's packed away. Otherwise it's been completely sturdy and would hold up to some pretty serious wind. I've not used it for a little while but have had enough nights in it to say I'm been pleased with the purchase.

Tebbsjeep

We bought a Kodiak tent last year and we really like it. We purchased the 10x10 Deluxe, and there's plenty of room for a queen size air mattress, bags and two 60lb dogs. Lots of head room too.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We are looking for a new canvas tent. Something in the 8x10 or 10x10 flavor. It seems like they are out of stock everywhere, and used is uncommon for sale.
I think i'd prefer the Kodiak brand... but are there others I should look at that may be in stock??

Pile of parts

Kirkhams/Springbar does a tent release every month and caters to the locals. I picked one up in May for the scouts, or whatever the program is now. I found that their website always says sold out or backorder but if you call them, they might have it. They don't update the site much.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I came here to recommend Kirkhams but POP had that covered. I love springbars and in the rare occasion I need one for personal use I just grab one from the “scout” closet 🤣

I’ve also heard great things about Kodiak from people I trust so I’m not sure you could go wrong either way.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have 2 Kodiaks, the smaller 9x7 and a 10x14, I've been happy with them. Both were new bought off ksl, one I picked up at a warehouse and the other the guy said he did stuff for someone at Kodiak and it was one with a torn box that he was given. Guy was in AF and I'm wondering if it's the same guy that is still selling tents. Link --> https://classifieds.ksl.com/search/keyword/598463
Wow. Those are great deals.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
When buying a Kodiak tent, they have basic, deluxe, and VX models, basically more windows per upgrade. Are extra windows worth the cost? I know it would be great for the breeze.. but are they future fail points? Talking 1 or 2 uses per year, and probably by kids or youth groups for the most part, with the occasional family use. What think Ye?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I haven't used mine enough to give an honest opinion on what you're asking. I'm excited to use it next week for the second time. I can't remember which model Kodiak mine is, but I wish the poles packed up shorter. They're about 5' long when packed.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The screen windows aren't great at letting airflow through, yes there is some but it's tighter than the window screen in your house and blocks most of the breeze. I've never torn a window, with the design most the windows get backed by the canvas when setting it up/taking down so I don't feel like they get a lot of stress on them unless you got dumb kids doing dumb kid things and messing with the screens.

DAA

When buying a Kodiak tent, they have basic, deluxe, and VX models, basically more windows per upgrade. Are extra windows worth the cost? I know it would be great for the breeze.. but are they future fail points? Talking 1 or 2 uses per year, and probably by kids or youth groups for the most part, with the occasional family use. What think Ye?

When the wind efffed up my buddies Kodiak, the main failure points were the stitched sleeves on the roof that hold the "spring bars". Those ripped right apart - and after the fact, it was plain to see they weren't well sewn to begin with and doomed to eventual failure. Also tore out a couple of stake loops from the floor - which my buddy had been worried about all along because they aren't reinforced like a Springbar.

Kodiak gave him a replacement tent, which he then took to a canvas shop and had those weak points reinforced (like a Springbar). Not worried about his Kodiak being blown apart by the wind again. It's a solid tent.

- DAA