Teraflex 2low

JK2NV

I just bought a 05 lj it has the Tera 2low in it and a Detroit rear locker what is the gain of 2 low thanks

Agility Customs

Vendor
It allows you to be able to turn on hard pack surfaces without binding up the drivetrain while still allowing the control and low speed that low range offers. Then when you get into more technical wheeling the use of rear burns is a HUGE advantage

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The downside is I always shift past 4low and into 2low. Then I wonder why I can't make an obstacle :-0

JK2NV

Gotcha so would it make it worth while. To lock the front like a Detroit or lunch box as an example

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Gotcha so would it make it worth while. To lock the front like a Detroit or lunch box as an example

I always think a front locker is worth it. :) If I can afford a selectable I go that route usually, but any locker is better than no locker.

Don't let a lack of front locker keep you from going out and having fun!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you have a non-selectable locker in the front, shifting from 4 low to 2 low will release all of the bind in the front end caused by the locker and turning.

On a trail that requires a lot of low speed driving you would cruise most of the trail in 2 low and save all of the strain on your front end. When you reach an obstacle that will require 4 low, you shift to 4 low and use both axles and lockers until you pass the obstacle. Then shift back to 2 low. That sort of makes your front locker "selectable".

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If you have a non-selectable locker in the front, shifting from 4 low to 2 low will release all of the bind in the front end caused by the locker and turning.

On a trail that requires a lot of low speed driving you would cruise most of the trail in 2 low and save all of the strain on your front end. When you reach an obstacle that will require 4 low, you shift to 4 low and use both axles and lockers until you pass the obstacle. Then shift back to 2 low. That sort of makes your front locker "selectable".

Most of the time on the trail this is what I do, it is amazing where you can go with two rear tires turning together in low range... :D

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Keep in mind that while a non-selectable locker will work great off road (especially with your 2-low), it might not be something you like while driving on road. On a vehicle like your TJ where there is no way to disengage the front axle while in 2wd, full-time front lockers can sometimes cause noticable issues.