Jeep TeraFlex: New Falcon Shocks!

TeraFlex

TeraFlex
Vendor

More information here: https://teraflex.com/shop/category?utf8=✓&q=Falcon

Description

The Falcon Series 3.3 Adjustable Piggyback Shock is designed and engineered to deliver race inspired performance and handling while exclusively built to the specific requirements of the Jeep Wrangler. Vehicle stability is the paramount goal with all Falcon shocks.
For years shocks have been simply ‘adapted’ with minimal tuning and not specifically designed for an application. Falcon Shocks changes that mentality. The Falcon Series 3 Piggyback shocks are corner specific, built from the ground up, and deliver the best damping characteristics possible with fitment and function outlining the highest priorities. A lengthy and painstaking development process has finally delivered these new advancements to a waiting Jeep market.
The front shock features a unique piggyback design with the reservoir positioned horizontally to increase clearance with large tires during articulation and turning. An offset upper stud positions the shock body away from the frame for maximum clearance.
The rear shock positions the body and reservoir at the bottom to eliminate shaft damage from rocks kicked up by the tires. The outboard mounting increases clearance for lifted vehicles with raised track bar brackets.
Falcon shocks feature Lucas Oil full synthetic shock oil for superior performance across all temperatures to reduce shock fade. The proprietary synthetic formula also contains special anti-wear and lubricity agents that produce excellent thermal stability.

Falcon Series 3.3 adjustable piggyback shocks are available in different performance levels including adjutstable and non adjustable versions.

Features & Benefits
- JK specific shock
- Increases vehicle stability
- Improved dynamic roll control
- Improved low speed damping
- Optimized fitment for clearance during full suspension travel & articulation
- Front offset stud design creates additional frame clearance
- 2.25” shock body provides optimal performance
- Largest shock body that will fit without modifications
- 6061 aluminum hard anodized shock tube resists wear
- Smooth honed internal shock body surface for long term performance
- ¾” shaft to prevent shaft buckling
- Maximum shaft diameter for optimal adjustable range
- Hard chrome, induction hardened shaft resists rock damage and corrosion
- OGS – the oil/gas separator prevents cavitation
- Digressive linear piston & base valve technology
- One-piece Teflon bronze piston wear band with o-ring
- Fast Adjust Knob (Series 3.3) for quick compression adjustments
- Compression cartridge system can be added to Series 3.1 piggyback shocks by owner after purchase
- Piggyback design increases fluid flow by 6x over restricting reservoir hose designs
- Piggyback fluid passage eliminates common leakage issues found in banjo & swivel fittings
- Hard anodized billet piston
- Aluminum construction for superior heat dissipation
- Lucas Oil full synthetic shock oil
- 1,000 hour salt spray corrosion resistance on all hardware
- Serviceable & rebuildable (factory serviced)
- Upgradeable in stages
- Built in-house in the TeraFlex Falcon shock division
- Fits all JK Wrangler models including Rubicon and Unlimited
- 3 year warranty
- Patent pending design

Last edited by a moderator:

Rottenbelly

I stink.
What's the difference in the non sport and sport models?
When are they going to be available?
I am hoping to add a lift and shocks to my rig so I can go to Winter on the rocks in January.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, I was happy with the Teraflex 9550 shocks!! Love the option of adjustability and how you can ADD that later on if you don't opt for it when you first buy!

I could see these being great for someone that does a mix of driving, road, dirt and rocks. Hmm..... :freak:

crosbike

Can you post a picture of the rear shocks/axle from the rear of the vehicle? I'm curious to see how the reservoir is situated and its hard to see in the video.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
I have had 2 different JK'S for 5 years. Never tore up a rear shock. But I raised my lower mount 3 inches.
I have heard of people backing up and hitting them. Unless you are getting crazy I don't think it would be a problem.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have had 2 different JK'S for 5 years. Never tore up a rear shock. But I raised my lower mount 3 inches.
I have heard of people backing up and hitting them. Unless you are getting crazy I don't think it would be a problem.

I raised my mounts as well. I haven't hit my shocks, but the OEM shock mount on the rear axle takes quite a beating in the rocks.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
X3,

I also can't imagine spending $350 on a single shock... whoa :eek:

There are several different price levels for the Falcon shock series. Just taking a quick look at the website tells me they are comparably priced to the Fox brand shocks that are marked toward the JK. Some are $350 per shock, some are $140 and $250. The $250 shocks can also be upgraded later on.

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

I stink.
I raised my mounts as well. I haven't hit my shocks, but the OEM shock mount on the rear axle takes quite a beating in the rocks.

Yep. The stock mounts are rock anchors. One of my first few mods is to move the lowers mount up.

I heard they will be available January 2017.
Maybe some of locals can get there hands on them earlier.....hint..hint....!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
There are several different price levels for the Falcon shock series. Just taking a quick look at the website tells me they are comparably priced to the Fox brand shocks that are marked toward the JK. Some are $350 per shock, some are $140 and $250. The $250 shocks can also be upgraded later on.

Still, dat a whole lotta french fries...

Greg

Admin
Still, dat a whole lotta french fries...

They still have the 9550 shocks at $65/ea that work pretty damn good. These Falcon shocks are at a whole new level, people that are pushing their vehicles to the LIMIT in the dirt.

There are 3 different levels of shock, only the Falcon 3.3 adjustable piggyback shocks have the remote reservoir down low on the rear shocks... the other 2 don't. Sounds like raising the mounts will address most issues. That said, the rear-lower shock mounts are so far outboard and next to the tires, you've have to try hard to hit the shocks.

After seeing the build details, I love what Teraflex has built... these are so much more than the usual shock. Even compared to the competition, these are so much more impressive!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Looks like Greg is going to be upgrading soon :p I guess I have been out of the shock buying market for awhile, the sticker price just got me. I'm sure these are top notch and would love to try a set, they are for my wife so..... hummmm

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I took a look at these yesterday (?) in the Teraflex booth. They are VERY well crafted and would be a good upgrade for some. As Greg mentions above, I believe the previous Teraflex shocks are pretty acceptable but these should be a nice upgrade for a frequent wheeler.

Greg

Admin
Looks like Greg is going to be upgrading soon :p I guess I have been out of the shock buying market for awhile, the sticker price just got me. I'm sure these are top notch and would love to try a set, they are for my wife so..... hummmm

We will see! I feel like I could put the Falcon's to work... last November we were down in Baja, hauling a$$ down sandy 2-track roads for hours, with the JK loaded up with all kinds of camping gear! But I just purchased the Alpine Long Arm upgrade, so we will see if I can swing a new set of shocks. ;)

THe new shocks can take a solid hit/drag. I seen it on YouTube.

Yeah, I saw that too!! Impressive, the rock broke off when the shock pushed into it! If you watch the video, they also mention that the lower-rear shock mounts on the in-board side of the shock mount, giving it even more clearance and putting the shock even closer to the tire, to protect it.

[video=youtube;RyK1gHndasM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyK1gHndasM[/video]

TeraFlex

TeraFlex
Vendor
Hey guys, great questions about the reservoir built on the bottom instead of the shaft. For one, these shocks are designed to take a hit. The bushing allows some swivel-movement so the body can deflect from larger obstacles without causing damage to the shock. We have also moved the shock outward from the centerline of the jeep towards the tire for more protection and it fits perfectly with jeeps with a raised rear trackbar bracket, where most shocks rub and hit, causing significant damage.
Another major benefit and reason we did the body downward is that the shaft can be easily damaged by rocks and debris kicked up by the front tires and as soon as there is a knick in the shaft or scratches, those pass the seals of the shock every time the shock compresses and extends and can very easily cause premature failure of the shock. Our shaft is tucked up close to the body and protected from these scenarios.
We went the extra mile to give our customers extra protection on the body by having the aluminum body "Type 3 Hard Anodized" which is incredibly hard for superior protection. The thickness of the body cap and the body is also extremely overkilled to take a beating and keep on going, where as if you take a hit to your shaft, you're done. Your shock will start leaking and you will have to send it in for repairs or buy new shocks.
Also, one of our big things is fitting with OEM applications with none to very minimal modification of components to fit, where as some of the bigger shocks with 2.5" bodies require significant modification such as removing or relocating the rear swaybar, aftermarket exhaust, trimming of the factory shock bracket, etc. These are basically a bolt in and go solution with superior performance, will fit from mild to wild builds, and the easiest adjustment that you will actually use (without burning your arm on the exhaust or pulling out a mirror to look up under the jeep to see what setting your adjuster is on). 30 seconds and you can have all your shocks adjusted from street driving and ready to hit the trails. No other shock on the market for the JK offers that. Hope that helps!

For those with great concern, we will be offering a bolt on skid plate that contours the body cap and extends to provide extra protection for the adjusters and will help further protect your investment. Look for more info coming in the next few months.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

We were lucky enough to get our hands on a set of the new Teraflex Falcon 2.1 mono-shocks and Falcon Nexus steering stabilizer for the RME JKU!! The Falcons are JK-specific shocks, they have a unheard of 2.25" body and massive 3/4" shaft, plus they're loaded with Redline synthetic shock oil and are fully serviceable and rebuildable. Teraflex really knocked the ball out of the park with these! The best part? They're hand-built right in West Jordan, Utah by offroad enthusiasts like you and I! Install happening now and full long term test and review right here!

First off, the packaging was top-notch! You can tell that TeraFlex takes pride in these Falcon Shocks just by the way they're boxed up. I carefully unpacked and took a few pics.

i-6WnHqJg.jpg

i-B36x9KC.jpg

i-XrvsZsp.jpg

Each box comes with a note signed by the people that hand built the Falcon shocks and Nexus stabilizer, pretty neat to see who's handiwork you've recieved.

i-PFqmnW7.jpg

i-vrL7VdW.jpg

First impression was that these are like nothing else out there, very well designed and engineered.

i-4zXhHDM.jpg

Install happening now and full long term test and review will be posted in this thread. Hoping to get to Moab tomorrow and start the trail testing!