Tesla Truck (Cybertruck)

RockChucker

And I'ma call BS on this marketing wank of a pull test. The F150 hit the gas late and was towing downhill, which weighted the Tesla's tires and unweighted the Fords. That Tesla may be awesome, but they didn't prove it with this.

And if the tesla was the awd version, the F150 in 2wd never stood a chance.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I for one support this disruptive product entering an extremely mature market. In order to sell vehicles that's exactly what it needed to be, disruptive. Aside from it's obnoxious looks the performance numbers are intriguing.

With a lift and not shitty looking wheels I think this thing isn't worth loosing your mind over. If you don't like it, don't buy it. lol

I support the future desert Cybertruck builds...

IMG_4283.jpg
IMG_4288.jpg
IMG_4287.jpg
IMG_4286.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4281.jpg

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I for one support this disruptive product entering an extremely mature market. In order to sell vehicles that's exactly what it needed to be, disruptive. Aside from it's obnoxious looks the performance numbers are intriguing.

With a lift and not shitty looking wheels I think this thing isn't worth loosing your mind over. If you don't like it, don't buy it. lol

I support the future desert Cybertruck builds...

View attachment 123823

meh. You can make a shipping container look amazing with enough suspension, tires, and light bars. The Tesla cars were disruptive without looking like a door stop. The tech is great, they could definitely shake things up with a less gross truck. It’s just too much

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
meh. You can make a shipping container look amazing with enough suspension, tires, and light bars. The Tesla cars were disruptive without looking like a door stop. The tech is great, they could definitely shake things up with a less gross truck. It’s just too much

The libertarian in me feels that if folks want to drive a door stop then they should be allowed to make that decision for themselves. Tesla decided to offer a door stop for their pleasure. :rofl:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Haha, for sure props to Tesla for being bold. My commentary is more about if I think their gamble will pay off. I think this is concept level, and production spec needs to be better to succeed. But the people making these decisions make a lot more money than me, what do I know :rolleyes:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Are you serious, or trolling? Of all the forums, comments, and posts I have seen, you are the first to say something positive. What is it that you like? What make it appealing to you? I’m genuinely interested in you reasoning.

I genuinely like it. @Corban_White can attest, he heard the discussion between me and my wife about it. I think it’s an interesting change from the big mfgs which all look the same to me lately. I’m pretty impressed at the price point too. Not saying you'll see one in my garage, but I'd probably buy one of these before I dropped whatever ridiculous amount of $ the dealers are asking for half tons these days.

My opinion (Rant alert)..... it's short sighted. I think he missed the ball on this one. Sure there will be some people that like it but from what I have observed it's only about 1 in 40 that seem to like it.

I think this "truck" appeals to Tesla people....not truck people. The same people that like Teslas or that type of vehicle are going to buy this.....or aren't because they already have a similar vehicle.

If Elon really wants to take over the future of renewable energy vehicles he needs to design a vehicle that will appeal to the general market of "truck guys". Take me for example....I am a "truck guy", I've had a truck as my primary vehicle for the last 15 years. I have had 7 trucks over the past 15 years. I work in the construction industry and I have a number of hobbies and recreational activities that means a truck is just a necessity in my life. I'm not an over the top truck kind of guy... of those seven trucks 6 were half tons and only one was a diesel. I drive more than most people, in the neighborhood of 40K/year so I would definitely entertain the idea of moving to an electric vehicle....but only so long as that vehicle is practical for what I need. This thing isn't even close..... it seems like they didn't consult with one single practical truck owner to design this thing. Practicality aside, it is so radical in the design that I couldn't think of showing up to a meeting or a job site in this thing... it would be so pretentious I would scare off half of my clientele.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate it but I don't think it will be what it could be. Tesla is a formidable force and I think they have a duty to create something that will apply to the general market. I will keep rooting for Rivian and Nikola to come out with something I can drive without the pretenious-ness of this thing.

How about 145,000 preorders in 24 hours??? How real is that number when the pre-order is offered at $100 refundable? How easy is it for someone to plop down $100 and say they have pre-ordered one compared to actually forking out the $40K for the real truck. I would be interested to see what percentage of those preorders mature in to an actual purchase.

Even so..... Is 145,000 a big number for pre orders? Ford alone manufactures 2112 vehicles per day on average..... Those are real vehicles on the road in one day from just one of the big manufacturers. Granted many of those are cars, suvs etc... but the point I am making here is that there is a HUGE untapped market of truck buyers that are driving conventional gas powered trucks that want....NEED....an alternative. Elon Musk has the ability to do that....but he's too short sighted to give us something we can use.

This is what it should have looked like...

tesla-pickup-truck-4-1024x453.jpeg.e4a532df93d7e54b2f49a1a22c7f868a.jpeg
Now this I would consider! Disruptive....as some have called it, different, as it should be....but not ugly as can be. I'm not certain how practical the bed would be...and the bed is what makes a truck a truck right?

Houndoc

I agree that it is too 'out there' for the average truck guy. Certainly can't see the redneck crowd hitting the dirt with their Confederate flag in the back of one. Sort of like when Prius and other electrics/hybrids first came out so much effort to make them look 'modern' that few actually liked them. Sales seemed to improve when more mainstream options hit the market.

No reason not to make them stand out, but again need to make them appealing to the average consumer if they really want to make an environmental impact instead of just being a symbol of self-congratulatory awareness for the few.

But the idea of an electric truck with the specs they claim could be a huge market in local construction etc. Not going to work for me or many others until the solar recharge while sitting on the beach at Lake Powell.

Jesser04

I agree that it is too 'out there' for the average truck guy. Certainly can't see the redneck crowd hitting the dirt with their Confederate flag in the back of one. Sort of like when Prius and other electrics/hybrids first came out so much effort to make them look 'modern' that few actually liked them. Sales seemed to improve when more mainstream options hit the market.

No reason not to make them stand out, but again need to make them appealing to the average consumer if they really want to make an environmental impact instead of just being a symbol of self-congratulatory awareness for the few.

But the idea of an electric truck with the specs they claim could be a huge market in local construction etc. Not going to work for me or many others until the solar recharge while sitting on the beach at Lake Powell.

The Prius doesn’t do the 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds. When it comes out you won’t be able to swing a dead cat without hitting one.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The Prius doesn’t do the 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds. When it comes out you won’t be able to swing a dead cat without hitting one.

This is my feeling. Time will tell, but I don't think Tesla is going to have any trouble selling these. Tesla fan boys won't care that it doesn't look like a "truck", and if the numbers are legit then the rest of the market will learn to look past the appearance pretty quick.

I'm a function first kinda guy. If I were in the market for a truck in the next couple years and I could afford that sticker, I'd consider one for sure.

DAA

I'm function first too. Kinda, sorta, almost, completely don't give a crap what any vehicle looks like. Even I have limits though and that thing is pushing right up to them. But I can get past that. Looks just aren't important.

The only one that would have a chance of filling the role of a truck in my life is the $70K triple motor version. Which, at this point, is 100% vapor ware. Not even claimed to start trying to even exist for a couple more years. Been in the tech business waaaay too long to buy any of that baloney. If they aint even hoping to start trying to make them for that long, they have no idea what it's actually going to be or what it's actually going to cost. But you can bet your bippy they are talking about the most optimistic version of the future state. Which regular people call blowing smoke up someones ass.

- DAA