Thanks Andy!!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Andy at Six States in SLC is the MAN! He hooked me up with a free used Lockright that had been sitting the shop for awhile!! :eek: :cool: He was helpful enough to swap the carriers out and reset the gears for my front 3rd member and now I am set to go!

I just got back from a test drive with the front and rear FINALLY locked up and it kicked a$$!!! Its much better than the LSD that was in the front. It used to somewhat struggle at times, but now just idles right up whatever is in the way! I'm too stoked! Yes, this is the first time I have had a rig locked up in the front AND back, :rolleyes:. I know......

Now all I do is wait for the first Birfield to go POP!! Super Birfs are next!

Thanks Andy!:cool:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
this may sound like a silly question but is anyone making "new" birfields instead of pulling them from wrecking yards?!?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by spencurai
this may sound like a silly question but is anyone making "new" birfields instead of pulling them from wrecking yards?!?

Why yes, they can be found at your nearest Toyota parts dept (probably not an in stock item though). I never bought any from Toyota and don't have a price, but it would be pricey. Also, I think most junkyards wouldn't take kindly to someone seperating birfs from the inner shafts. If you were sending them in as cores for Longfields, you'd want the extra shafts anyway (I've already broken an inner shaft using them). That was probably more info than you needed, but someone may find it useful. :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
well i was just wondering if we are using up an immense supply of used parts or if toyota, suzuki, and other birf users were making more. this makes sense though!! i think it will be another decade or three before birfs in the used arena are scarce!!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I figure Toyota will stop having them made adventually (if they haven't already). Does anybody know if you can still get a new solid axle Toy outside the US? Thats probably the determining factor right there. Thats why we can still order new replacement parts from the dealerships for our Samurais (as I'm sure you know Spence). Could be a similar situation. As far as birfs getting scarce, I don't think so, but it will be interesting to see in 20 years.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i told my buddy that we are going to regret hacking up our sukz because they are going to be all gone in 20 years. they haven't seriously imported them since the early 90's and that was even at a small amount after the consumer reports fiasco. as for toys, there are millions of those things. but the sport is growing by leaps and bounds so things could be changing in the future. but on the other hand if the sport keeps growing, so do suppliers, and if the need arises someone will start making defunct parts.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
It will be interesting to see what happens. Only once in a 2 year period did I come across a guy with a '95 Samurai. I'd like to see production numbers for that year!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Congrats Greg. New paint and new locker--good week. Can't wait till the day when I can say I'm locked front and rear.

Glad to see a shop interested in taking care of its customers...........................

NFC

Cody

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I just barely got back from the UK (london ext) and they scrapped the older trucks from what I hear. I was on the lookout for a 80-85 double cab :) What i did figure out is that yea you can get a solid axle truck new. I could only see the solid axle on standard cabs.....the x-cabs had IFS. :(

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Vonski
I figure Toyota will stop having them made adventually (if they haven't already). Does anybody know if you can still get a new solid axle Toy outside the US? Thats probably the determining factor right there. Thats why we can still order new replacement parts from the dealerships for our Samurais (as I'm sure you know Spence). Could be a similar situation. As far as birfs getting scarce, I don't think so, but it will be interesting to see in 20 years.

While I was over in Kosovo I saw all kinds of new trucks with solid front axles. to include the quad cab. I'm not sure what year they were but they were pretty new.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Vonski
(I've already broken an inner shaft using them). That was probably more info than you needed, but someone may find it useful. :D

What!! I want to hear more about that! Was it a pain to pull the shaft out? Did you have to do it on a trail, in competition or what!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
If he did it right the shaft was easy to pull. If he did it wrong..it's still stuck LOL
I too am curios what kinda throttle jockey,hillbilly move made you snap an inner. Throw it up as a new topic though