Thanks Greg!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So, the 610 I linked was alot more money then the 650's I'm seeing around. Is it worth it to go after it and pay the extra money? I wont really know the difference.

I think what I'll do is take a class and then get my endorsement. Then I will start shopping around. I just want all this to happen sooner then later.

Caleb

So, the 610 I linked was alot more money then the 650's I'm seeing around. Is it worth it to go after it and pay the extra money? I wont really know the difference.

I think what I'll do is take a class and then get my endorsement. Then I will start shopping around. I just want all this to happen sooner then later.
Before you commit to it, go ride it around. Also ride some 650s. Is it worth more than the 650...good question, and I think ultimately that's a personal preference. It is a powerhouse as Greg pointed out (well, atleast in the dirtbike world), but yet still has a great maintenance schedule. I think for my next big bike, I may go with something like a DR650...but I absolutely loved the 610. My biggest issue was parts availability. Stupid stuff like turn signal lenses ended up being a special order item and takes three weeks to get and I still end up with the wrong part. The newer Huskies are tons better and there is also tons of aftermarket support for them...so it's really a toss up.

As for the maintenance on the 610, I would say it's right inline with the KLR and the DR650. It's not high strung at all, it lugs like no other, but will get up and boogie if you get on it. The oil changes are really simple, pull two plugs to drain the oil, then take out two screws for the oil filter. Simple and quick.

Caleb

Also, if you are willing to drive a little to pick up a nice bike, check out advrider for sale forum and the Rockies forum. You can find pretty good deals on bikes that are already setup for the adv type of riding.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

It really depends on what you want to do and how quickly you can pick up riding.

That Husky TE610 the ultimate dual sport IMO and a lot of bike for a new rider. Honestly, I would look at a DRZ for a starter bike. It's smaller in size, not as much power, but still more than enough power to do anything you ask. The Husky would be a good bike, after you have had some time on something in the 400/450cc range.

As far as price is concerned, that Husky is fairly expensive for a used dual sport. Well worth the money, but since you'd be new to riding, you may be better off getting a cheaper, smaller bike and breaking your way into riding on that and spending the saved money of outfitting the bike, riding gear, etc.

My DR650 is a 2008 and probably worth $3500-4000 at the most. Like a Jeep, it's hard to get money out of aftermarket parts. I wouldn't pay for them and didn't.

I bet you can find a DRZ that is street legal for $2000-3000, which is quite a price break compared to the Husky.

Caleb

It really depends on what you want to do and how quickly you can pick up riding.

That Husky TE610 the ultimate dual sport IMO and a lot of bike for a new rider. Honestly, I would look at a DRZ for a starter bike. It's smaller in size, not as much power, but still more than enough power to do anything you ask. The Husky would be a good bike, after you have had some time on something in the 400/450cc range.

As far as price is concerned, that Husky is fairly expensive for a used dual sport. Well worth the money, but since you'd be new to riding, you may be better off getting a cheaper, smaller bike and breaking your way into riding on that and spending the saved money of outfitting the bike, riding gear, etc.

My DR650 is a 2008 and probably worth $3500-4000 at the most. Like a Jeep, it's hard to get money out of aftermarket parts. I wouldn't pay for them and didn't.

I bet you can find a DRZ that is street legal for $2000-3000, which is quite a price break compared to the Husky.

I agree completely with this. Most of the parts, or atleast a lot of the parts, you buy outfitting a smaller bike, you'll be able to take over to just about any other bike...bags, riding gear, etc. If you get setup with that stuff correctly, your rides will be a lot more enjoyable.

I've been >< that close to buying a DRZ both times I've been shopping for bikes. They would be a great bike to start on. Like I said originally, no matter what bike you buy, you'll always find stuff you do and don't like and will want to switch bikes. So you may as well save a little up front. :)

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That's good info. Thanks guys. I was thinking I needed the bigger bike for the power. I was worried that I would not be able to keep up with a group on or off road, if I went with a less powerfull bike. Sounds like that is not the case, at least as far as power goes.
How fast do you ride these bikes on the highways? 60-70? Can all the bikes go that fast?

Greg

Admin
That's good info. Thanks guys. I was thinking I needed the bigger bike for the power. I was worried that I would not be able to keep up with a group on or off road, if I went with a less powerfull bike. Sounds like that is not the case, at least as far as power goes.
How fast do you ride these bikes on the highways? 60-70? Can all the bikes go that fast?

Nah, no need for that much horsepower to keep up. Just think about this... most single-cyl dual sports weigh somewhere around 275-350 #'s. Over 50 horsepower pushing around 350 pounds, plus the rider... = :freak: That is a lot of horsepower for very little weight.

Here's another KSL search, for WR250R's-

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=231&sid=742...ce=&min_price=any&max_price=any&type=&x=0&y=0

I would highly recommend sitting on one of them and ride it if you get the chance.

All this bike-buying talk has me thinking... -_- I love my DR650, but wouldn't mind either the Husky 610 or a Yamaha WR250R.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
the wr250r is street legel from the factory...

Only if you buy the supermoto version that they made in 2008. It has street bike tires, not off road tires. The normal WR250 only comes with headlight and tail light. You would still have to do a street legal kit to give you turn signals, horn and brake light. Also, while a lot of places will over look DOT tires, it does not come with them either.

Greg

Admin
Only if you buy the supermoto version that they made in 2008. It has street bike tires, not off road tires. The normal WR250 only comes with headlight and tail light. You would still have to do a street legal kit to give you turn signals, horn and brake light. Also, while a lot of places will over look DOT tires, it does not come with them either.

Spork is right, the WR250R is street legal from the factory. Perhaps you're thinking of the WR250F?-

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/home.aspx

Blinkers, DOT tires, mirrors, etc.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Spork is right, the WR250R is street legal from the factory. Perhaps you're thinking of the WR250F?-

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/home.aspx

Blinkers, DOT tires, mirrors, etc.

Yea that's worth pointing out the WR250f is not the same as the WR250R or X from what I read the motor on the WR250R/X is more like a single cylinder pulled from street bike with typical street bike service intervals the F has dirt bike service intervals that are much shorter. I've heard the F does not share many parts with the R/X (different motor/different frame/different suspension).

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thats good to know. I am not familiar with that bike since my local dealer only carries the f models. I have to admit I was kind of scratching my head when you were talking about a WR 250 that would cruise down the freeway easily at 80 mph........now it all makes sense.:greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So maybe I don't understand the whole endorsement part. Can you ride your bike without it? How do you take a test on your own bike if you can't ride it to the test site?

When my wife and I got our endorsements last year they had you schedule an appointment for the road test (Draper DMV). So we took the written on the spot, plated our bikes and then got a temp that was good for 14 days? Can't remember. Then we scheduled a day and time for a road test and they issued the drivers license right on the spot as I recall.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've been reading up on the utah rules. I can take a written test that will give me a permit to ride for six months. I can take the riding test anytime within that six months. So that will solve the riding with no endorsement problem. So I'll take that test this week and then start test riding bikes soon after.
I still plan on taking the ridercourse, but I can't do that untill Aug.

Caleb

Speaking of which, I just got this email about the rider course at SLCC today.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-12 at 6.46.08 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-12 at 6.46.08 PM.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 4

Corban_White

That ATK rotbox posted is the same as mine and I love it. It does amazing off road and the power is very manageable. The only thing of note for a beginner is that the seat is quite high. Not a problem if you have long legs or if you are already a proficient rider-just something to mention.