Thanksgiving weekend in the Swell

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
Well, Rot Box and I (wife and dogs included) went ahead and meandered the Swell Friday and Saturday.

We met up at the Wedge Overlook as planned and ran down Buckhorn Draw Rd/Temple Mountain Rd all the way to Goblin Valley. We took in the views and the wildlife and some diversions. We ran over to Swazey's Cabin and were going to run up Eagle Canyon to the Arch......but a boulder the size of the bed on Andrew's truck created a skinny spot that we didn't see the F350 CC Long Bed squeaking past! The couple in the SXS sure were looking at us funny as Andrew back up a bit to a spot to turn around! After Eagle canyon we just continued down to just outside Goblin Valley State Park. Link to a cool "fly over video" app I use. That's day 1. It was a bit crisp at night for tent camping, but we layered up and did fine! Nancy (my wife) is a trooper!! Here are some other pics from the day.

IMG_0177 (1).JPG

IMG_0178 (1).JPG

IMG_0186 (1).JPG

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
Day Two we ventured off to find the White Wash Sand Dunes (neither of us had ever been there). I had built in some "navigation" into a new GPS app I'm using and while it worked, I however have some learning to do!! When building the route to the Dunes, late at night, the night before we left for the Swell, I saw that there were several "roads" shown the took you there from the vicinity of the I70 exit at Green River. Well, we first swung down to check out the cold water geyser on the Green River (very cool by the way) and then proceeded to go down to the Dunes.........well, the "road" that I chose was really a very fun goat path!! It was super fun, and watching the long bed crew cab traverse that ground was awesome! Sorry Andrew, but it was fun!! We finally got to the Dunes and I was looking to find @anderson750 and his crew so I could deliver some parts to him......well, holiday weekend, the Dunes, oddly enough................he was NOT THE ONLY ONE THERE!!!! LOL, it took us a bit to find his camp.......with no one home.....so I left the package on the doorstep, I hope he got it!!

After pulling away from the Dunes it was starting to get to be the time of day to find a place to camp........I knew of a road just on the north side of 70 from my old adventure motorcycling days and we found a great spot for the night. We dubbed it the "lone tree campground" for obvious reasons. Great trip, good company, lots of scenery and got to some places that I hadn't been before! Fun times. Thanks for putting up with us Andrew! We had a blast. Link for Day 2 Video

IMG_0202 (1).JPG

IMG_0207 (1).JPGIMG_0213 (1).JPGIMG_0216 (1).JPG

Thursty

I really wanted to meet you all out there for this trip but was on-call for work both days and couldn’t chance it. I love getting out in the Swell all year but there is something about being out there in the colder weather with fewer people. Looks like you had a great time.

Last edited:

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
We have always wanted to go see the cold guyser, but last time we were in the area we divirted to go find some dinosaur fossils. Looks like a good trip, maybe next time :cool: