Thanksgiving weekend!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’m thinking I’d like to plan a trip in the Swell/Moab area over thanksgiving weekend. Haven’t been since I moved from Florida and can’t wait to go back! Anyone have plans that weekend? I’d be open to anything my extra big full-size would fit through. Kid/dog friendly and no real destination in mind at this point. Depending on interest I could get some better plans nailed down..

Andrew

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I’m thinking I’d like to plan a trip in the Swell/Moab area over thanksgiving weekend. Haven’t been since I moved from Florida and can’t wait to go back! Anyone have plans that weekend? I’d be open to anything my extra big full-size would fit through. Kid/dog friendly and no real destination in mind at this point. Depending on interest I could get some better plans nailed down..

Andrew

How hardcore are you talking? I will be full-time VanLife at that point, and will be looking to do some fun and challenging routes for my van. It's a Ford Transit with the Quigley 4x4 conversion. As it is a high roof, it also fits into the 'extra big' category.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I had high hopes of camping over turkey day and the weekend. My wife used her trump card and over ruled it to hang with her family. 😭

I did get the party moved to my house though, so I can avoid everyone and work in my shop, so that’s a small win.

Have fun, I will be wishing I were with you.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Blacksheep, I’ve been lazy and haven’t came up with much of anything just yet. That said I’m leaning towards the Swell. Lots of options there I’m thinking camp at the wedge the first night then working our way south through the buckhorn draw. Head of Sinbad, Sid and Charley, Eagle canyon etc would be fun to check out along with all the pictographs in the area. Haven’t been to black dragon in years and would like to go back but I’m not sure if my truck would be able to do the trail...

Moab would probably be warmer but I’m not sure of any routes that would be stock vehicle friendly. Definitely open to suggestions there.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Weather would really dictate anything we would be interested in. There are plenty of routes and trails that are full size friendly in the Swell and Moab. Even White Wash dunes could be a great camping trip.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’m kinda curious what the weather will do. If it’s too cold I think my kids will stay home.

White wash dunes sound fun I’ve never been over that way..

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Blacksheep, I’ve been lazy and haven’t came up with much of anything just yet. That said I’m leaning towards the Swell. Lots of options there I’m thinking camp at the wedge the first night then working our way south through the buckhorn draw. Head of Sinbad, Sid and Charley, Eagle canyon etc would be fun to check out along with all the pictographs in the area. Haven’t been to black dragon in years and would like to go back but I’m not sure if my truck would be able to do the trail...

Moab would probably be warmer but I’m not sure of any routes that would be stock vehicle friendly. Definitely open to suggestions there.

I'm going to defer to you and @Hickey for routes. It's been 13 years since I've been out that way other than my 3 week trip in July/Aug this year. Whatever your truck can do, it's likely my van is less capable. I'm not afraid to push a little, but it is an 8500# full size, high roof Transit campervan.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Do you guys know where the Wedge overlook in the San Rafael Swell is? Thinking we could meet there Friday morning if that works? I can try to find the coordinates if needed...

Depending on what time we have thanksgiving dinner I’m going to try to head down Thursday night and camp at the overlook.

Do you guys want better itinerary? I was thinking point at something cool on the map and shoot like I always do. I’m mostly familiar with the area so I don’t think we’ll get lost lol.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Do you guys know where the Wedge overlook in the San Rafael Swell is? Thinking we could meet there Friday morning if that works? I can try to find the coordinates if needed...

Depending on what time we have thanksgiving dinner I’m going to try to head down Thursday night and camp at the overlook.

Do you guys want better itinerary? I was thinking point at something cool on the map and shoot like I always do. I’m mostly familiar with the area so I don’t think we’ll get lost lol.

is THIS the place you're talking about?

Friday morning after T-day is easier for me than before that. I'm coming all the way from the NE and I don't want to be in too much of a hurry. I also have family in Albuquerque that I am hoping to catch up with. That could be before or after though.