The "Back in my day" thread.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
A kid thought we had a range in our school, in one of the main halls 😬

Spoiler alert, he didn’t aim down-range…

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Back in my day you couldn't save your progress on video games. If it was dinner time you were screwed and your only hope was to beg mom to allow you to not turn the console off so you could keep playing later.

I pulled out the switch last night and played some OG Mario. It was a lot of fun and my 7 year old kept telling me how good I was (I wasn't...) and I learned that I could cheat and create restore points.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
In high school, we made a habit of offering ourselves self-guided tours of places. The IFA grain towers in Draper were a great example. On this occasion, we made a 'Decoy Rulz' flag out of an old pillow case with grand plans to hang up from very top silo which had a pole with a flashing light. It was quite the array of ladders and walkways to get all the way to the top.

FB_IMG_1679200602234.jpg

Decoy was Donovans hair band. He was suspended just a few months before graduating for throwing water balloons at the Ball Room Dance team as they performed in the talent show in the Alta High School gym. In addition to the balloons, he held up a banner that read "I rocked your mom's world, she calls me Dr Feelgood - sponsored by Mrs Sandstrom (AHS principal) Sandstone the PTA". I may have a few details off, it's been 24 years. :D

Decoy was turned down as a performer and many weren't happy. He was suspended, forced to graduate from Jordan High and couldn't be in the senior picture. We solved that. His parents owned Perry's Postal & Print so we spent the night before picture day making a half dozen life size color pictures of him. A few made it into the class pic 😎

FB_IMG_1679200612194.jpg
Donovans head is the smallish one on the row middle. That's yours truly to thr right of him.

School administrators didn't find out about his presence until it was too late.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
In high school, we made a habit of offering ourselves self-guided tours of places.
lol self-guided tour… I love it. We walked up the alpine slide at park city resort at like 2 AM and were saddened to find they lock up the sleds. But then we found a spot in the cable that was duct-taped together so we all rode down in the dark. The days before high-quality camera surveillance and social media were just better.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
lol self-guided tour… I love it. We walked up the alpine slide at park city resort at like 2 AM and were saddened to find they lock up the sleds. But then we found a spot in the cable that was duct-taped together so we all rode down in the dark. The days before high-quality camera surveillance and social media were just better.

We called them self-guided. Gilgal Gardens, golf courses (midnight golfing and/or swimming), swimming in Bell Canyon Reservoir, mines, hotel pools, cemeteries, Pepperwood Swimming pool, Corners Canyon (my only trespassing ticket) and tops of office buildings were common tours in my youth.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
We called them self-guided. Gilgal Gardens, golf courses (midnight golfing and/or swimming), swimming in Bell Canyon Reservoir, mines, hotel pools, cemeteries, Pepperwood Swimming pool, Corners Canyon (my only trespassing ticket) and tops of office buildings were common tours in my youth.

Also received a corner canyon trespassing ticket. Was snowing like crazy we went in the back way after they put the gate up. Had like 5 po-lice waiting for us when we were headed out to go watch monster trucks at the delta center. Was snowing so hard couldn’t even see the cop cars until suddenly lights everywhere.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Also received a corner canyon trespassing ticket. Was snowing like crazy we went in the back way after they put the gate up. Had like 5 po-lice waiting for us when we were headed out to go watch monster trucks at the delta center. Was snowing so hard couldn’t even see the cop cars until suddenly lights everywhere.

:D

I miss Corner Canyon. My grandfather owned property on Traverse Mountain that could 'loosely' be accessed from Corner Canyon. That got me 'out of jail' many times but they got wise and would often follow us. Back then SLSO has a H1 Hummer and their own Heli. Common site for them to come chase us around.

Who remembers the 'RME Emergency Wheeling' session up there?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
We used to midnight golf... And climb the cranes in high rise construction sites. Blocking off roads and funneling cars into a circle or parking lot where we could water balloon them was also a good time.

We also visited small town girls we'd meet at hs events and go ride the oil rigs (grasshoppers).

Was the emergency wheeling trip where Ollie's keys fell out of the ignition and that dude's (smokin camel?) Sami started on fire?