The Bastard gets a Heart (GM LQ4 rebuild)

Greg

Scope Creep
Admin
I.M.O., they're pretty damn hard to beat. What are your camshaft plans?

I'm honestly considering another Brian Tooley Racing Stage 3 cam, same one that was in it. It sounded awesome, looks like it makes power from 2500-6500 RPM and has a very flat torque curve.

https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-camshaft-gen-3-4-truck-stage-3-v2-btr31824100.html

218/224
.553/.553
110+0

They recommend 2500-3000 RPM stall torque converter, which I'd plan on anyway so I'm not pushing thru the brakes. I'd shoot for 2500 RPM with this thing.

Here's a power graph of a 5.3 with this cam... I believe a 6.0 would be similar, with torque coming on sooner and everything (HP & TQ) else up a bit higher.

Here's some sound clips of the BTR Stage 3 truck cam at idle...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm honestly considering another Brian Tooley Racing Stage 3 cam, same one that was in it. It sounded awesome, looks like it makes power from 2500-6500 RPM and has a very flat torque curve.

It might surprise you to learn the BT Stg3 cam gives up torque from 4000 rpm on down, just to squeeze out a few extra horsepower at 6000... even on a 6.0L engine. Here is a broader comparison of the stock cam vs BTS1 vs BTS2 vs BTS3:

(skip to 5:17 for the 6.0L results)

Greg

Scope Creep
Admin
More progress on the engine, pulled the pistons & rods, then the crank. I was surprised at the amount of sludge in the oil pan and the amount of metal flake & material in the oil pan. Not to mention all the little roller bearings that were spread all over! The sludge also doesn't add up with the story of '12 miles' on this engine that the PO claims.

The rod bearings and crank bearing has all been beat up by the metal, but the crank itself isn't scarred up. I mentioned the one lifter that was stuck, it had to come out thru the bottom. The roller had come apart, spreading it's little needle bearings all over inside the engine.

Also, someone forgot to put the circlips on one of the rockers! :skeptic: I'm assuming they have been upgraded with brass bushings and someone had a couple extra parts.

I have some parts left over from my L33 build that I can use on this engine, a double roller timing chain & a new timing cover.

Greg

Scope Creep
Admin
Definitely looks like stuff was moving through those bearings for longer than a few miles.

Good thing you had to take this one apart. Looks like someone put it together without the knowledge to do so

I think someone did a quick & easy, rushed "rebuild". Not much crosshatch on the cylinders either. Someone did a piss poor job on this LQ4.