The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Well after months of watching Greg's build thread then seeing it go up for sale and months of watching it sit, we struck a deal, and I wound up with it :)

I have been wanting to build a buggy for a long time, and I figured this would be the perfect start. I am hoping to build this on the cheap, but still do it right. My ultimate goal is to have this buggy up and running for next years OSRC. I have been wanting to compete in OSRC since it started, I just didnt dare do it in a vehicle that I DD. Also since the group I usually wheel with does the buggy trails, I figured it was that time.

Plans:

Greg had a great plan for this chassis, and I am going to hopefully set it up very similar, but with some tweaks, and changes.

Engine: 22R on Propane, with a T3 Turbo pushing anywhere from 10-15lbs of boost.

Trans: I was planning on running an AW4, but I actually got a good deal on a Manual trand from an 84 pickup.

T-Case: Plans were to run a 4:1 Dana 300, but I got the same deal on a 4.7 21 SPL Toyota case, so I am planning on switching it out to a 23 SPL and getting a crawlbox.

Suspension: 4 Link Rear, and either 3 or 4 Link Front. Planning on either coilovers, or air shocks.

Tires/Wheels: I am planning on running a tire around the 40" size. Would love some sticky Treps, or Krawlers but I am sure that isnt going to happen :D Wheels I am possibly thinking a DIY beadlock, or some Creeper Locks. I guess it just depends on what axles I go with. One thing I want is this buggy to have a good stance to it, a bit wide, but not extreme.

Axles: I am not sure whether I want to run Toyota Truck/4R axles, or if I want to make the jump to 1 tons. I guess it will just depend on which set I come across, and can afford.

So a couple weeks ago, I made the trek down to Colorado and picked up the chassis. It was good to talk with Greg again, and spend some time shooting the breeze. We caught him right in middle of moving, so I was glad I was able to help him out.

Greg did say the chassis needed a lot of clean up work, and he wasnt kidding! It is to be expected tho. Spent the first couple of days cleaning the chassis, and grinding everything clean. Found a crack in the frame by the Driver's side motor mount. Probably from when the previous owner endo'd it, or just years of hard use. I am going to spot drill it, then cut a V in the frame, weld it up good, then the chassis will be getting reinforcement plates to beef it up.

Same day I went and picked up my motor/trans/t-case (axles, tires, wheels, springs, driveshafts aren't mine):

Weirdly, while cleaning up the frame, I noticed a cut in the lower tube where it looked like the previous owner had cut it, and either changed his mind, or forgot about it. It had paint over the cut, and no sign of recent sawz-all marks, so it didnt look like anything Greg had done. I hit it with a flap disk so it stands out so I can fix it later.

After lots of clean up, I decided it was time to start changing things up on the chassis, and making it mine. I finished cutting out the back, and also removed the two bar that the previous owner had his airshocks braced too.

Then I added some tube :D

And that is where it sits now...More to come! :D

blznnp

Can't wait to see this build, after watching some buggies on the trail, I would love to build one. Is the frame custom made or is it out of some vehicle?

Coco

Nice. Are you replacing all the .090 wall pieces?

I am not sure yet I am thinking I am going to, but I am not for sure yet. I might switch it up a little bit too.

Can't wait to see this build, after watching some buggies on the trail, I would love to build one. Is the frame custom made or is it out of some vehicle?

This is what is left of an F-Toy chassis, and they are designed to sit on a Toyota truck, or 4runner frame. :D Not sure which one it is for sure though!

Thanks guys! Getting really excited to get it going! Looking for some parts if anyone has any :D (mostly what is listed in the first post)

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
if it comes out as nice as the last 4-runner you had... then look the freak out its gonna be awesome!!! Good luck with the build man, can't wait to read up on this build each morning!!!

Karnage Fab

ive got the front fj80 front axle that came out of there minus the 3rd and drive flanges. it still has the tabs on it. and if u want a larger motor to stuff in there, I have a 5me and 5mge for sale too

mombobuggy

You might consider building it a lot like Eddie,s buggy . It is amazing where it goes. It almost makes me want a second buggy.

Bart

Agree with the coil overs if its in the budget. If you can't do it the first time at least leave room for them in the build.

Coco

I am hoping I can get the funds to do coilovers, I prefer them over air shocks as well, air shocks like to unload a lot.

So on Wednesday I drew up some frame reinforcement templates with cardboard, and got them all ready to get cut out.

Also Kringle welded up the rear X:

Thursday we got the motor, trans, and T-case pulled from the donor truck.

Last edited:

mombobuggy

My biggest regret on my buggy is not scrapping the stock frame rails. I wish they were 2 inch 188 wall d.o.m. The stock frame is kind of ugly and heavy. Yours is of course less heavy. But at this point it would not be to bad to make new framerails. just a thought.