The cars of Cuba

Houndoc

My wife and I recently returned from a little over a week in Cuba. Trip as a whole was amazing, being one of my favorite travel destinations to date.

And the classic cars of Cuba, especially in Havana, did not disappoint. In and around Havana, I would estimate that 25% or so of the vehicles are 40+years old.

Most are the 50s American cars they are well known for (with conditions from running to amazing), there are a lot of 70s era eastern European cars still on the road (little Polish made thing being the most common) and a surprising number of Willy jeeps and wagons and some amazing old Land Cruisers.

The way they keep them going is also interesting. Most have much newer powertrains (we spent most of the week being driven in a Hyundai diesel-powered '56 Pontiac).

Here are a few of the vehicle highlights:

car 1.JPGcar 2.JPGcar 3.JPGcar 4.JPGcar 5.JPGcar 6.jpg

The_Lobbster

Really cool! I've heard that Cuba got a lot of the old stamping dies from the US auto manufacturers, and a lot of the "old" cars, down there, are actually much newer than what they appear to be, they're just stamped from old dies.

Houndoc

Wow! It looks like you went on vacation to a car show
That is exactly what parking lots look like!

Really cool! I've heard that Cuba got a lot of the old stamping dies from the US auto manufacturers, and a lot of the "old" cars, down there, are actually much newer than what they appear to be, they're just stamped from old dies.

I haven't heard that, and talking to the Cubans I doubt that is true. Even if they had an auto industry, which they don't, not sure why they would choose to build a 60 year old style. They also represent a very wide range of models, years and makes. If they had dies from the original automakers, I would think a handful at most would dominate.

They do a lot of custom fabrication for body work and mechanically use whatever they can get and modify to make it work. One of the cars in our group (mid-50s Buick) is running a 1989 Mercedes diesel that has been in the car 'only' 12 years. Engines and transmissions can be out of totally different vehicles. It was not uncommon to see vehicles in various stages of restoration in people's yards.

One aspect of it that I do think is cool is that they took something that developed out of necessity (inability to import cars because of economic embargoes that have been in place since the early 60s) and turned it into a cultural symbol they take pride in.