The GoPro Thread

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am looking at getting a GoPro to record some of our adventures. The part I like best is the ruggedness of the product. I am not sure if I want the 3+ sliver or the 4 silver. It looks like the 3+ has better battery life, but the 4 has an LCD screen. Also, the 4 has a different battery so if I buy the 3+ I will be getting a product that isn't the newest version for accessories. Any help would due appreciated. Thanks.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
I am looking at getting a GoPro to record some of our adventures. The part I like best is the ruggedness of the product. I am not sure if I want the 3+ sliver or the 4 silver. It looks like the 3+ has better battery life, but the 4 has an LCD screen. Also, the 4 has a different battery so if I buy the 3+ I will be getting a product that isn't the newest version for accessories. Any help would due appreciated. Thanks.
If your not sure if it's something your going to use a lot and not sure if you want to drop the money on it I would look at a Sunco dream 2.
I use them for my Mountian biking videos and for the price they are awesome. I have had a few Go pros and would be hard pressed to buy one again. The Sunco is every bit as good as my 3 was.
I use the I movie app on my iPad to edit the videos. Never did like the go pro editing software.

This was my first video I did with it.
http://youtu.be/emVf6qYTs-Y

Caleb

If you want, come borrow mine and see if you'll actually use it. I've used mine exactly two times, both while snorkeling in Hawaii last year. If I still had a dirt bike, it'd probably get used more but as it is, I never use it. I'll need it Feb 24th - Mar 6th for another trip to Hawaii, outside of that, you're welcome to use it. I've got a 3 black.

As to which to get, the 4 would be cool IF I actually used it just for the sake of having the latest. Given the amount of use, I can't justify it. If it were me, there's nothing that's compelling enough for the extra expense over the 3. The 3 is still fully supported, lots of options for accessories, etc. The battery life alone would sway me to the 3 as it's already tough enough keeping batteries alive.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
Another thing I like about the Sunco camera is you can hook it up to a power source. I use the little portable phone charger battery packs and get enough time to fill up a 16 gb card.
It also has a screen on the back for framing your shots.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If you want, come borrow mine and see if you'll actually use it. I've used mine exactly two times, both while snorkeling in Hawaii last year. If I still had a dirt bike, it'd probably get used more but as it is, I never use it. I'll need it Feb 24th - Mar 6th for another trip to Hawaii, outside of that, you're welcome to use it. I've got a 3 black.

As to which to get, the 4 would be cool IF I actually used it just for the sake of having the latest. Given the amount of use, I can't justify it. If it were me, there's nothing that's compelling enough for the extra expense over the 3. The 3 is still fully supported, lots of options for accessories, etc. The battery life alone would sway me to the 3 as it's already tough enough keeping batteries alive.

One of my concerns is that I might not use it like I want to. I am probably the worlds worst person for taking pictures. I do some fun stuff and would really like to have the footage around to look at. I am not sure I would ever get good at the editing of the video. I may take you up on borrowing yours.

Are there companies you can send raw footage into and have them turn it into an edited video for you?

Rock Taco

One of my concerns is that I might not use it like I want to. I am probably the worlds worst person for taking pictures. I do some fun stuff and would really like to have the footage around to look at. I am not sure I would ever get good at the editing of the video. I may take you up on borrowing yours.

Yes you are one of the worst at taking pictures! I have 2 you can borrow one any time although neither of them are the fancy 3 or 4.

Are there companies you can send raw footage into and have them turn it into an edited video for you?

Yes its called iamsixstringsteve but he takes about 6 mos to get them edited and back to you. :D

ID Bronco

alright, I did not read through the entire thread so forgive me if this has been covered.

I bought my Son a go pro 4 black. I got two extra batteries ($20 each) so that helps on the time.

He is using it for a few activities and I would like to know which mounts you all have used and like for different activities.

1. snowboarding - he is using a helmet mount. seems good, footage alright. Any better options?

2. fly fishing - chest mount gets in the way of vest/pack and don't want to wear a helmet. Maybe a head strap of some sort? (like a headlamp?)

3. Hunting - Turkey specifically. This is one of the reasons I bought it. (for me) these hunts are fun when on film. barrel mount?

4. Motorcycling - helmet mount currently. Better options?

5. Backpacking - chest? hook it to pack somehow?

I am excited to get feedback. The mounting system seems really important to make sure we use it a lot.

Thanks!

I just found the mount section - thanks

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
For motorcycles, I run it on the top of my helmet. For me, when I watch a motorcycle video that is chest mounted, the POV is kind of screwy and I find it harder to watch.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
For motorcycles, I run it on the top of my helmet. For me, when I watch a motorcycle video that is chest mounted, the POV is kind of screwy and I find it harder to watch.

I too prefer helmet mount, Id prefer the top, I like that POV but Im a foot taller than a human and Ive got tired of smacking tree branches, so I now mount on the side of my helmet at goggle highth, kinda wierd because the pov looks a little off center but I like that it captures forward motion and handlebars action too.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I too prefer helmet mount, Id prefer the top, I like that POV but Im a foot taller than a human and Ive got tired of smacking tree branches, so I now mount on the side of my helmet at goggle highth, kinda wierd because the pov looks a little off center but I like that it captures forward motion and handlebars action too.

I prefer having the camera mounted at chin height, on the side of the helmet. I think having the camera mounted on top of a helmet makes the POV too high and takes some of the depth perception of the camera away, making stuff look even less tame than it is.

ID Bronco

I prefer having the camera mounted at chin height, on the side of the helmet. I think having the camera mounted on top of a helmet makes the POV too high and takes some of the depth perception of the camera away, making stuff look even less tame than it is.

I like this idea, how are the handle bar mounts? Or I should say the footage while using them?

Greg

Admin
I like this idea, how are the handle bar mounts? Or I should say the footage while using them?

I don't like them myself, seems like there could be too much vibration? I like having the camera mounted on my head, that way the body acts as a suspension for the camera and it points where ever your head looks.

For snowboarding/skiing, I could see a chest mount being pretty cool.

I bought my Hero 2 camera from a guy that used it for filming his hunts... he wasn't pleased because the wide angle lens dos not do well with distance, the camera's just don't film well and makes things far away almost impossible to see on film.

sixstringsteve

A lot of don't realize there are three settings for the field of view. Wide, medium, and narrow. All configurable in the camera menu. I can't remember if the hero 2 had that, but I'm 99% sure it did.

I got a hero 4. I'm pretty bummed they changed the battery over the hero 3. At least they kep the same case as the 3+

Greg

Admin
Yeah, I talked to the guy selling it and he played with the FOV and still wasn't happy with the end result. I think he was hoping for more quality at distance... you're not going to clearly see an Elk at 300 yards with a GoPro. :rofl:

ID Bronco

Yeah, I talked to the guy selling it and he played with the FOV and still wasn't happy with the end result. I think he was hoping for more quality at distance... you're not going to clearly see an Elk at 300 yards with a GoPro. :rofl:

This is why it works good for turkey, duck, goose, and archery hunting. there is always a tripod, but that's more to carry into the field and to "set up", and move when you are chasing them. I think a handlebar mount on the gun barrel may work well.

Best place to purchase multiple mounts? I see them on Amazon in kits. Any ideas?