The GoPro Thread

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I know there are a lot of guys on here that use GoPro's for various purposes... I know there have been several threads about which software to edit with, different recording options, changes between different models and capabilities, etc. I figured it was time for a dedicated thread for all GoPro discussion.

Feel free to add your input, questions, ideas, etc.

Threads on RME -

GoPro Mount Options

Where to mount GoPro for Crawling?

Which video editing software?

How Tough is a GoPro?

GoPro Hero 2 vs. Hero 3

Greg

Admin
I have 2 GoPro's that I use, a GoPro Hero 960 (which was the first HD GoPro) and now a Hero HD 2. (I also have the original GoPro but don't use it. Too narrow of a viewing angle and low quality video.)

Use - Most of my filming recently has been dual sport or dirt bike riding. The 960 has been around several years now, has seem many hours of riding and I've even fell on it during a bad crash. It's been very reliable, despite the hard use. I have had to replace the camera's lens after it got scratched and used a Chinese replacement, because the GoPro version was very expensive. The video quality is still great, so no complaints there. I have had to replace the lens cover on the case as well, after some scratches.

The Hero 2 is a new purchase, I bought it lightly used after the owner upgraded to a Hero 3. I plan on adding a Wi-Fi BacPac and a Remote, so I can start & stop recording easier when the camera is mounted to my helmet. I can still interchange batteries between the 960 and Hero 2, so I've decided not to upgrade to the Hero 3. I'll be using the GoPro app on my phone, so I can view the angle the camera is recording.

Editing - I use Windows Movie Maker to edit my films... it's simple and easy. I wanted to learn how to creat a quality video and between the GoPro and Movie Maker, I think I have it figured out. I'm no Pro, but I'm happy with what I can do. Still learning though! I can cut down a day's of riding into a 10-15 min video in a couple hours or less. I have downloaded the GoPro Studio edit software, but I'm used to Movie Maker, and it's hard to start using something new.

Accessories
- I recently purchased a extendable pole (Its a Stealth iPole) for mounting the GoPro, hoping to play around with that and get some different shots. I needed to buy an adapter to change from the 1/4"x20 threaded rod to the GoPro mount and found one on EBay. I want to film some more 4x4 trips, perhaps some hiking stuff too using the pole.

I'm planning on doing some filming of the OSRC this year and want to have both GoPro cameras on the courses and in vehicles.

ricsrx

I just got a gopro for christmas and it has the wi-fi. have not used the wi-fi yet.

my question is the battery go's dead after a few day's of no use, is this common?

Greg

Admin
I just got a gopro for christmas and it has the wi-fi. have not used the wi-fi yet.

my question is the battery go's dead after a few day's of no use, is this common?

It shouldn't, I've had batteries sit for months and still have a full charge. If it's new, I would contact GoPro about a warranty on the battery.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My battery doesn't hold a full charge if it sits too long, I usually charge the night before anyways just to keep me from getting pissed when the battery dies.

I've had almost every iteration of the GoPro and I really really enjoy using them.
Helmet mounts and roll bar mount (work well for a pole mount) is what I use the most.

A word of advise is to use the BEST quality (and speed) rated SD car media you can. It really does improve the video.

I've found I don't use the WiFi remote very often unless I've got a the camera stationary mounted and I'm filming around it, or can't reach the camera: like a suspension mount or rear vehicle mount.
The WiFi smokes the battery life.

If your lens gets scratched, replace it. It may not show as much on dry video, but when the lens gets wet, water will cling to the scratch a cause crap video.

Frame Rates: depend highly on what you are filming.

Greg

Admin
Good to know about the WiFi... that's too bad. I'm going to pick one up and give it a try.

I also charge up the batteries before using the camera, just in case. I have 2 batteries per camera, seems like I can fill up a 32 gig card with 2 batteries.

sixstringsteve

If your lens gets scratched, replace it. It may not show as much on dry video, but when the lens gets wet, water will cling to the scratch a cause crap video.

x2

I also recommend the wasabi extra batteries and charger off of amazon. About 1/3 the price of the equivalent GoPro brand, and every bit as reliable (if not more). My wasabi batteries last longer than my GoPro batteries.

Another recommendation: if you have a hero 2, the hero 3 isn't that much better, and you go from 3.75 hours of battery life to .75 hours of battery life (at least that's been my experience).

Greg

Admin

Another recommendation: if you have a hero 2, the hero 3 isn't that much better, and you go from 3.75 hours of battery life to .75 hours of battery life (at least that's been my experience).

That's what I keep hearing and the only reason I added a Hero 2 rather than a Hero 3. I want my battery to last for hours, not minutes. When I ride, I want to record as much as possible so I don't miss anything, rather than short clips here & there.

I need to pick up a double battery charger eventually. I have 4 batteries on hand, good to know about the Wasabi batteries!

sixstringsteve

The hero 3+ is supposed to get a bit better battery life, but that's because they use a higher capacity battery. i've heard that the firmware is different and a bit more efficient in the hero 3+.

Hopefully they fix the hero 3's poor battery life with the hero 4 (or whatever the next one will be).

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Great thread, Im still learning all this GoPro stuff, still trying to figure out how to put stuff on youtube, Im using the GoPro editing software, but its saying its in the wrong format. Im going to try and get this figured out this weekend, If I cant I might have to try the windows edit.

Caleb

Official GoPro Everything Thread

Since there are more and more guys on here that are using gopros, I figured it'd be a great idea to have a thread where everyone can discuss all thugs gopro (and video in general). Things like what apps you use to edit the video, what kind f editing and post production processing do you do, how do you use your gopro, what accessories do you have and use with your gopro, etc?

So if it's a question relating to gopros or video in General, this is probably the correct thread to ask in.

Caleb

I'll start the discussion off with the question of, who uses, or has tried, different lens filters with their gopros? The one that looks the most interesting is a polarizer filter, but a neutral density, or macro could be interesting as well. I've been reading a lot of reviews on them and everyone seems to think that a polarizer filter is a must have. Thoughts?

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I wonder if the polarized filter would help with the refraction you get when you have a dusty lens in a race when you have sunlight hitting it?

Caleb

I do think it would help, however I think the neutral density would help even more for that. I'll see if I can find the video I was watching and they were talking about (and showing) how it helps the extra noise you tend to get.

Last edited:

Caleb

This is the video I was thinking of.

[video=youtube_share;LAVfnKB2ENY]http://youtu.be/LAVfnKB2ENY[/video]

Greg

Admin
Since there are more and more guys on here that are using gopros, I figured it'd be a great idea to have a thread where everyone can discuss all thugs gopro (and video in general). Things like what apps you use to edit the video, what kind f editing and post production processing do you do, how do you use your gopro, what accessories do you have and use with your gopro, etc?

So if it's a question relating to gopros or video in General, this is probably the correct thread to ask in.

Merged your thread with the other GoPro thread... :D

Cascadia

Undecided
Ok, I use a MacBook Air for my main computer. That might not matter but maybe it does. When I am done with video on the memory card and i have my memory card in the usb card reader, how do I clear the sd card? When I delete stuff, it disappears from the memory card but when I put the memory card in to the gopro, it still says that the card is full. Stratton showed me on a pc that you have to reformat the card but how do I do this on my Mac?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
On a Mac you use "Disk Utility" to format the SD card. Its an app you ought to be able to find in the launchpad, or by searching for it by pressing "command+space bar." Once disk utility is open on the left side you will see all the drives that are currently connected to your computer. You will see the drive then indexed below it any partitions or subdivided pieces of the bigger drive (there will be at least one partition but often more.)

To whack everything on the drive or card highlight the main drive then to the right look for "Partition." You can see how the drive is currently setup in the "Partition Layout" area. To whack what you have click the drop down that should say "current" and select how many partitions you want (probably just one if you are going to put the card back in your go pro.) Name the card if you want then hit "apply."

***CAUTION*** You need to make sure you select the right drive before you reformat it. While reformatting a card doesn't necessarily erase everything on the drive its something that you probably can't recover on your own. I would recommend that you not have anything else plugged in to the laptop when doing this as to keep things as simple as possible.

I don't have a go pro but I know on cameras there is typically an option to format the memory card. There quite possibly is a way to do it from your go pro as well.

EDIT: Found this...

Here are the steps to reformat your SD card with your HERO3 camera:
  1. Power ON your camera with the SD card inserted.
  2. Press the front (Power) button repeatedly until you see the wrench icon on the camera’s screen.
  3. Press the top (Shutter) button one time.
  4. Press the Power button repeatedly until you see a trashcan icon.
  5. Press the Shutter button one time to select the trashcan icon.
  6. Press the Power button until “ALL/Format” is highlighted.
  7. Press the Shutter button one time to select “ALL/Format”.
  8. Press the Power button until “Yes” is highlighted.
  9. Press the Shutter button one time to select “Yes”. Your camera’s LED and the trashcan icon will blink to indicate that your SD card is being reformatted.
Once they stop blinking, power OFF/ON your camera, and your file counter should show 00.
Important – Take a picture. This confirms that your SD card is successfully reformatted.