The Grey Bastard V2.0

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I was going to string this out with a bunch more teaser pics, but @moab_cj5 spilled the beans so I guess I better fess up.

This is a 2002 LX470 that has been in @DAA's driveway for a long time, and now it's in mine. I've been poking him about it since he first mentioned he was thinking of selling it, years ago. My last round of poking lined up with him finally being sick of looking at it, so we made a deal.

The rack was the first thing to go on, because it's the first thing I had time to do. It'll be necessary for trips with the whole fam, I expect. I've got a box of Icon 2.5s that finally showed up and are ready to go on as soon as I have a dry driveway to roll around in. With OME coil springs and torsion bars, I'm hoping to pick it up about 2 inches. New wheels showed up too and I'll wrap them in a fresh set of rubber. 4.88s and ARB lockers will follow down the road but not too far. Winch mount and rear bumper and sliders will all likely be home brew because an Affordable Bender and pipe notcher will cost way less than the commercial stuff available for this truck. And it's not grey yet but after I replace a couple damaged body panels it'll get a coat of bedliner because the odds of getting paint matching parts are pretty slim and I don't like black trucks anyway. At some point I need to build a set of drawers for the back because the ones I have in the Ex don't fit and I miss them already.

That's the broad strokes, anyway. I'm hoping to get all of that accomplished this year, I don't want to string it out and second guess myself the way I did with the Excursion. Suspension is the priority, because the AHC is shot - had it out this weekend, and I swear on my sainted mother's cookbook this truck will not see dirt again until that's dealt with. Tearing all the old stuff off is supposed to be a pain, so I'm looking forward to getting it over with.

1711342059865.png
1711342099367.png

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
AHC. A Hydraulic Contraption. That adjusts suspension height. And when it's totally shot, you're driving a pogo stick. Dirt like that must have been a trip!

- DAA
Ohh I didn’t notice much at first. But it became comical to follow. I swear at least once the rear tires came off the ground on a rebound…. Maybe traveling 2.6mph