The Ham Radio Thread

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
Got the Yaesu installed and used it this weekend. It is WAY better than the HT I was using before. Every person in the group of 8 or so had a HAM radio and it was so much better than CB. I am sure there are good CB set ups, but mine was not that great :)

HAM for the win.

DAA

Premium Member
Premium Member
Trying to work a mobile into the budget sometime in the next few weeks. Have had it penciled into the budget for quite awhile, but not sure I won't have to wait awhile longer to free up the discretionary cash. Kinda sorta spent my radio money on a new AR. Was just gonna look, next thing I know, I'm not in the gun store anymore but I'm fondling a brand new Rock River. It happens...

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Premium Member
Trying to work a mobile into the budget sometime in the next few weeks. Have had it penciled into the budget for quite awhile, but not sure I won't have to wait awhile longer to free up the discretionary cash. Kinda sorta spent my radio money on a new AR. Was just gonna look, next thing I know, I'm not in the gun store anymore but I'm fondling a brand new Rock River. It happens...

- DAA

Happens... 5.56/Wylde.... details ;).

I should snag a new radio sometime but not sure where I’m at. I’ll probably just make my radio modular and move it from “Jeep” to tow rig?

DAA

Premium Member
Premium Member
Happens... 5.56/Wylde.... details ;).
Not to sidetrack the Ham thread too bad. But, briefly - RRA ATH, 18" 1/8, stainless match barrel, Wylde chamber. Mounted VX5 2-10 on it wth Bobro QD (so I can swap day scope for thermal). Running it suppressed so put an adjustable gas block on it. Five shot groups with best loads so far are better than 3/4 MOA. Not a fan of the trigger. Buddy dropped off one of his lowers to me this morning so I can try one of his Giessele HSNM triggers. If I don't love that, probably going to try a TriggerTech adaptable in it. But that creepy mushy 4.5 lb of hell RRA calls a National Match trigger and me just ain't going to get along, it's got to go.

- DAA

DAA

Premium Member
Premium Member
Exactly. Well honey, I have money in the budget for a radio. I think I will buy a rifle instead, you know, since it is in the budget.
It wasn't like that. It was more like... Well, it was more like, I'm just here to look around, how did this rifle end up coming home with me? No premeditation. It "just happened". So no chance for discussion :D.

Price was only about a hundred bucks different between the radio and the rifle. AR prices are at an all time low, the one I got was going for twice as much right before the election and guys waiting in line to get butt raped at that price. Dealers are lined up to get butt raped on their huge inventories, now. I'll definitely use the rifle at least ten times as often as the radio though :D.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Premium Member
Not to sidetrack the Ham thread too bad. But, briefly - RRA ATH, 18" 1/8, stainless match barrel, Wylde chamber. Mounted VX5 2-10 on it wth Bobro QD (so I can swap day scope for thermal). Running it suppressed so put an adjustable gas block on it. Five shot groups with best loads so far are better than 3/4 MOA. Not a fan of the trigger. Buddy dropped off one of his lowers to me this morning so I can try one of his Giessele HSNM triggers. If I don't love that, probably going to try a TriggerTech adaptable in it.....

You'll have to post about the mike and if you decide to go to an adjustable