The Ham Radio Thread

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Worst case, I can bring my laptop and we can use that for now. It'll help you get familiar with the program's operation, plus we can program a few machines into your radio.

It will let me download it, but I can't access it from my computer because it is a work computer and the file is not on the list of approved whatever. I will talk to the tech and see what I can work out.

I use Chirp on a Mac and I'm familiar with the corporate limitations - same here. PM you email address if you want me to email you a fairly current copy of the dmg.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Using the help that unimog sent me on the Chirp program I was able to open it up and get it running.

Then Dempsey(the HAM wizard) helped me program everything. He saved me 100 hours of work. He was very patient with each question I had and was crazy smart at HAM stuff. I can't thank him enough.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Any idea why a 10 foot programming cable would be better than a 3 foot cable? I get that is is longer, but is there a real reason that I am not thinking of that makes it better?

Any idea why a 10 foot programming cable would be better than a 3 foot cable? I get that is is longer, but is there a real reason that I am not thinking of that makes it better?

I don't know why length would matter. If you are connecting it to a mac, though, I've had way better luck with the cables that have the FTDI chip than the Prolific or Prolific clones. Read that as I could never get the Prolific cable to connect, where the FTDI was plug and play. My experience is connecting with baofengs here. It may be a different story for the Yaesu.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The cable Dempsey brought over was a FTDI cable and it worked great on my MAC. I will just buy the same one he had. :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Any idea why a 10 foot programming cable would be better than a 3 foot cable?

I think you already guessed it--it is handy in case your radio is located 'way in the back of your rig' and there is no place near it to set your laptop for programming. As I said, my 3' cable is long enough to allow me to easily program the radio in my 'Burb as well as in the Jeep.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My son thought the certificate was cool. When I told him he could collect them from different people he talks to he thought that was pretty neat. He thinks he wants to start studying for his test :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
How old is your son? There are a number of licensed kids in the area (ages 8 to 15 or so) and they love to chat with each other on the 76. There is even a 'youth' net every Thursday at 6:30pm (except the first Thursday of the month) on the UVARC repeaters (they are linked), meaning 146.780 and 448.200 and both require a 100.0 tone. Perhaps you could tune into it with your son just so he knows this isn't a hobby restricted only to "old" people.

Speaking of helpful nets, every Thursday at 7:00pm (again, except for the first Thursday of the month) there is a New Ham Net on the same UVARC repeaters. This is aimed at newly-licensed individuals, or those who have little experience and feel they are still learning and/or too timid to jump in to general conversation with a stranger. It's very relaxed, and encourages everyone to get a little more comfortable with radio operation.

Why are these two helpful nets not held on the first Thursday of each month? Because that's when we have our monthly UVARC club meeting. The first Thursday of the month from 6:30pm-8:00pm is our chance to get together and chat with friends, make new ones, and put faces to call signs. (I am often humored when I recognize the voice of someone I've never actually met in person.) There will be a bit of technical information shared--there is usually a specific topic/presentation for the evening--but by and large it is a very relaxed, low-level, non-threatening activity. If you are reluctant to attend because you don't want to sit in a room full of 80-year-old men wearing pocket protectors, inch-thick glasses, and tinfoil hats while they sit around and discuss deep electronics theory, you're in for a shock--there will be men and women of all ages present, plus entire families, teenagers, and so on. All are welcome to attend, even those without a radio license.

FYI

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I has been studying a little bit.

I checked in on the last new ham net by accident last thursday. I happened to be listening (I do that a lot lately) so I checked in, but couldnt listen for too long.

I will need to make one of the meetings. I would probably prefer 80 year old men with tinfoil hats, but I guess I will take what I can get :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The meeting was a lot of fun with about 70 people in attendance. After we went out to purple turtle for some burgers and shakes. My chocolate peanut butter shake was amazing!

I would highly recommend it to anyone who thinks they might want to get into HAM radio.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
How do you decide what repeater to use to talk to someone sort of far away? Do you just give it a try? Look at a map and find one that is in the middle?

Like if I wanted to talk to Salt Lake/Magna/Etc.