The Ham Radio Thread

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Which repeater(s) do you monitor while you drive? I'll have to try contacting you.

I generally don't. I sometimes bring up the 62 just to see if I can hit it from wherever I'm at, but I haven't bothered to learn how to program the memory slots on my radio so that's the only repeater I pull up because that's the only one I remember :D.

We should find a backwater repeater that everyone can hit and try and set up an RME check in. I could use the practice.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a programing cable for my radios. Now I need to get off my butt and open the software, and learn how to program them.

I have used CHIP for my BF's, but I am planning to use the Kenwood software for my mobile units in my rigs. Just need to take the time to figure it out, and get it loaded on the radios.

Well, I guess I really need to finish the install in my FZJ80 first. I could do it in my GX, but I use that rig less and less.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
We should find a backwater repeater that everyone can hit and try and set up an RME check in. I could use the practice.

I would be absolutely fine leading this sort of activity. I'll have to see if I can find a repeater which is central enough for everyone, yet unused enough so we don't step on anyone's toes.

Of course, finding time to do this before EJS will be almost impossible.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Over the weekend, a new ham operator posted this to the UVARC page on FB:

I recognize that this is small stuff to many of you out there but I had some super exciting (to me) ham experiences this weekend. I finally took the initiative to learn how to program a frequency into my radio for a repeater that requires a tone. It worked in Hanksville where I would have expected it to. But then it also worked at our primitive, no cell service, bring your own water, poop in a bucket, campsite. I was hoping this would be the case but wasn’t sure.

Then to my utter delight, when I finally got the guts to ask someone to send a text back home to my wife, I was super surprised to hear Nick from Lehi. THATS WHERE I LIVE! I knew it was possible to link repeaters but I have never done it. I gotta learn how to do that!

It was cool because my wife felt better about me disappearing into the desert when I could still contact her. Now I just need to get her to get her license.

While his experience is nothing new to us experienced hams, I still loved seeing his surprise and enthusiasm for discovering linked repeaters. Since his experience directly relates to our beloved 4WD activities, I thought I'd share it here.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Not sure if it's good/bad or just ok but I saw this today

The UV-82 is a definite upgrade over the UV-5R series of radios. And while Baofeng has released a few upgraded models of the UV-82 (such as the UV-82C, the UV-82X and the UV-82HP), even the original model (which seems to be what Woot is offering) still sells for $35 each on Amazon. Getting two of them for $45 counts as an excellent deal, IMO.

I'm not a huge Baofeng fan, but if you want a couple of inexpensive handhelds this is a very attractive offer.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Well that was short lived.... The display on my Yaesu FT-2980R that I bought in March went blank. If I push the top-left corner it comes back, but damn. I'm not sure I can find the receipt. Radio still works fine, I just need two hands to operate.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Well that was short lived.... The display on my Yaesu FT-2980R that I bought in March went blank. If I push the top-left corner it comes back, but damn. I'm not sure I can find the receipt. Radio still works fine, I just need two hands to operate.

Call Yaesu, they have a US based service center and repairs are quite modest even if it's not a warranty issue.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I could not find the receipt and Yaesu charges $70/hr + parts + shipping. I only paid $140 for the radio so it's almost in the replace rather than repair category. That said, I was sure I knew what the problem was.
LCD panels are printed numerals on a glass with contacts along the top edge. The panel is connected to the circuit board via a thin rubber strip with tiny wires embedded in it. This strip is sandwiched between the LCD panel and the circuit board when the front bezel is assembled. The rubber strip connects the LCD pads to the circuit board pads but the one on mine was very slightly undersized causing some of the pads to be unconnected.
I removed the LCD and built up 4 layers of very narrow tape on the front of the panel opposite the rubber strip.
This pushed the panel just a little closer to the circuit board and now the display is all happy again.....

elastomeric connector : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector

this is the concept of how they are used
design-guideline-conductors.jpg

Last edited: