The H'ell Camino

D

Deleted member 12904

instead of doing high compression pistons maybe you should just turbo that 5.3......... just saying I know its probably crossed your mind.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
instead of doing high compression pistons maybe you should just turbo that 5.3......... just saying I know its probably crossed your mind.

Oh, it crossed my mind many times! Seriously, how could it NOT? X-D I just don't know that I need that much power. Even at 10 PSI, a 5.3 should be capable of 700 HP+ with pretty mild tuning. That's a wicked amount of power, I'd be pretty happy with 400-450 HP. My concerns are reliability and cost, when it comes to a turbo. At this point, I wasn't planning on the truck-LS engine swap and I'm trying to keep costs down.

Greg

Admin
The 5.3 is sitting in it's mounts and against the TH350, thanks to LSX Innovations adjustable billet aluminum motor plates, part # AL 11.

I reused the rubber engine mounts that were on the 350, they looked decent.

20180507_150132.jpg

20180507_152610.jpg

I have heard that the factory truck exhaust manifolds would not work for this swap, but also read something interesting about fitting stock manifolds. Guys are cutting the exhaust collector off and and welding on a V-band clamp instead. Believe it or not, these cast manifolds do very well with welding! I was going to throw these manifolds away, so I figured why not try to cut them up with the idea of running V-band clamps. I test fit them before cutting and could get the passenger side in, but not the driver side. After cutting the collectors off and fitting them again, I could get them into place, but they dump pretty close to the frame. The exhaust dumps right onto on the passenger side frame and the driver's side is very close to the frame and brake line, close enough it probably won't work. The truck manifolds are just too wide, but I want to keep trying to use them, if I can.

I have heard that early 2000's F-body manifolds will work in this car, and I'm going to take the same approach with cutting the collector off and welding on a V-band clamp... just need to find a pair. Hoping to score a pair for $50 or so.

20180507_154639.jpg20180507_161510.jpg
20180507_162616.jpg

Greg

Admin
Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Is that truck intake going to fit under the hood? You need a DBC throttle body

Looks like this little 5.3 is just what you needed

I'm not sure if it will fit or not, like I mentioned I PM's I have a line on a LS1 manifold if I must. It looks like it'll clear, but need to put the hood on first.

I do need a cable drive TB... the DBW TB is just what came on the 5.3... I've got plenty of other things to worry about before the TB becomes a concern. ;)

Greg

Admin
So just out of curiosity.... my radiator mount is a sheet metal square that's 2 3/4" deep, it bolts to the core support and the radiator bolts to it. I want to run an electric fan, but a big single looked like it would be a bit tight. I unbolted the radiator mount and removed it, then bolted the radiator directly to the front core support.

There is still plenty on air flow to the radiator and now I have over 5" between the radiator and the water pump pulley. Plenty of space for a fan and shroud, with the truck water pump and accessories once they're mounted.

20180507_193609.jpg