The H'ell Camino

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, another change in direction. This is becoming one of those things where if your going to do it, you might as well do it right.

I bought my new L33 aluminum block and LS1 241 cylinder heads back from @Noahfecks , I'll be building they new engine instead of using the 200k mile, iron block LM7. I plan to re-use the crankshaft out of the truck engine and have it checked out by a machine shop. Dunkin purchased a set of Gen4, 4.8l flat top pistons and rods, which I will also be buying back from him. The built engine will be getting all new bearings, gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, etc.

I plan to run an aftermarket Camshaft;

Hydraulic roller tappet, Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,300-6,300

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 216 int./220 exh.

Combined with the flat top pistons, it'll have 10.5 to 1 compression. This combo should be good for 430-450 HP and should last a long time. The RPM operating range should make for a great driver with plenty of torque and horsepower.

20171220_112248.jpg

From here it will just be a matter of getting any needed machine work done, coming up with the money to buy the needed parts and then building the engine. Again, this engine swap was completely and totally unplanned.... I'm doing my best to roll with the punches and do the work right the 1st time.

rholbrook

This is the best choice. The money you spend here will come back to you if you sell it. I want a ride when you are done. Maybe I will split the cost of a new set of rear tires when we go. :)

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
This is the best choice. They money you spend here will come back to you if you sell it. I want a ride when you are done.

Maybe I will split the cost of a new set of rear tires when we go. :)

Yeah, I agree... it'll make the car more valuable with a properly built, fresh aluminum block.

That sounds like a plan and possibly a great way for us to get arrested!

Greg

Admin
Parts for the LS swap are starting to come in, the Holley LS Swap oil Pan, TH350 to LS flexplate and spacer, cable throttle body, new front seal for the TH350 and a brand new stand alone wiring harness that came with a couple of other goodies, including a harness for electric fans and GM ECU that will need a tune eventually.

I also received my eBay-special cheap conversion stainless steel headers that are meant for this car. They were recommended by a local buddy and were hard to pass up at $150!

20180512_121811.jpg20180512_124810.jpg20180512_124908.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Headers look rad.

Yeah, they're nice parts considering they're made in China.... BUT, the very nice Holley oil pan is also stamped with 'made in China', so I don't know how much difference it makes, really. The thing with these headers is that you're not paying for a name associated with a brand. Anyway.... I think they'll be better than using factory manifolds. We will see how they last with time, I hope the quality of the stainless is high.

That engine needs to be Chevy Orange before it goes in the hole.

You think? I've never been one for tradition, matter of fact I painted my old Camaro's 355 Ford Blue, just to piss off the guys that thought all Chevy engines should be Orange. :p I think I'll leave the block and heads bare, so you can tell it's aluminum. ;) If I have time time, I'd like to polish the valve covers and make them all pretty.

Greg

Admin
Picked up dual 11" Spal fan with a shroud that perfectly fits the stock El Camino radiator from Craigslist today. It pulls 2,800 CFM! This is a $350-400 fan, plus the Derale dual fan controller that came with it. These parts were never used! Paid $50 for it all!

I should be able to wire up the fans to the harness and run them off the ECM. :cool:

20180514_193759.jpg

smfulle

I love this project.

So I am an old guy and like old school stuff. That having been said, for me it ain't a hot rod if it doesn't have 3 pedals.

These guys do an awesome job of retrofitting TREMEC overdrive transmissions for just about any application.
I have a 5 speed in my 59 Chevy pickup and it will roll down the freeway way faster than I have steering, brakes or suspension to keep it in a straight line, and it's low enough to burn plenty of doughnuts in the church parking lot to impress all the kiddies.

https://shiftsst.com/

apache.JPG

Greg

Admin
Some progress in the form of new wheels & tires! Little back story, when I was introduced to muscle cars I was working at Super Shops in high school and my job was installing wheels and tires. After a short time, I became the shop manager. I've mounted up high-end wheels and expensive tires for all kinds of high performance vehicles.... drag cars, pro-street street cars, circle track cars, salt flat cars, etc. We carried some pretty great brands, only BFGoodrich tires, Cragar and Boyds wheels, etc. This experience has made me pretty picky when it comes to wheels and tires, especially on a classic muscle car. I have been back & forth on what I'd put on the El Camino, wanted something that looked great, gave a nod to the cars classic looks but was modern and offered better performance.

What I ended up with for wheels was a set of American Racing AR105 Torq Thrust in Anthracite Wheel with a machined lip. I got them in a 17 x 8 with 0 offset and the price was very reasonable, $132/ea. While I really wanted BFG's to match, things with this build are already costing more than planned, so I found a cheap set of take-off late model Camaro tires with more than 80% tread, Kumho Ecsta AST in 245/45/17. These are directional tires with a speed rated for up to 130 MPH. I paid $50 for the set of 4, so I'm not complaining. I topped off the combo with a set of locking lug nuts, to keep them safe. Once these wear out, I'll upgrade to BFG's. ;)

The wheel size, spoke width and overall fit looks perfect. I could have gone for a larger wheel, but didn't want to worry about wheel & tire fitment at this point. The 17's should make a significant difference in handling charachtersitics and the 45 aspect ratio on the tire still has enough meat for a decent ride, I believe. There is plenty of room in the wheels to see the fancy disc brakes that will be installed in the near future. Obviously the car is still on jack stands due to the engine swap, the rear axle is resting with the weight on the car (jack under axle) and the front is on the frame, so it's sitting at full droop. I'd drop it on the ground, but without an engine under the hood, it'll still sit high so you get pics on jack stands. I think the rear wheel & tire look just about right, nothing is close to rubbing so that's good!

Here's pics!

20180611_130807.jpg20180611_130755.jpg20180611_130736.jpg20180611_130741.jpg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I came across the holy grail of El Camino's that a friend of mine inherited from his dad about 3 years ago...........all original.......never restored.........1967 SS-396. He did not know if it was the original motor, but overall the car is very clean and only has minor rust. I told him I wanted first dibs if when he decides to sell it.

Greg

Admin
I came across the holy grail of El Camino's that a friend of mine inherited from his dad about 3 years ago...........all original.......never restored.........1967 SS-396. He did not know if it was the original motor, but overall the car is very clean and only has minor rust. I told him I wanted first dibs if when he decides to sell it.

I'd be checking it out and making an offer, if he doesn't want it! That sounds like a hell of a car!

I love those wheels Greg! Looks killer.

NICE choice. 17" modernizes the look a lot but doesn't give up the classic look of the car at all. Tough to go wrong with a classic look like that

Thanks guys, glad to hear my choice made sense! The right wheels and tires complete the look of a car and I think this really works for the El Camino.

Greg

Admin
Little progress on the engine, the LM7 has been torn down and will be parted out. Anyone need an incomplete, builder 5.3? :D

20180611_150328-L.jpg

20180611_150338-L.jpg

I need to get the crank checked out, Dunkin has a set of Gen 4 rods with 4.8 (flat top) pistons I need to snag and then possibly balance the rotating assembly. From there, it will be getting the right bearings, new rings, gaskets, etc. I'm reusing many of the fasteners from the LM7, have new head bolts (factory head bolts are one time use only), may upgrade the rod bolts to ARP's, etc. I'll check all the bearing clearances, then slowly begin reassembly. Hopefully within the next month I can have the engine assembled and back in place, then work on the plumbing and wiring.

I did get another big parts order from Summit Racing which included the Comp Cams Camshaft, heavier valve springs and new roller rockers. Also included an upgraded billet double roller timing set, high volume oil pump and a new cam thrust plate. Also snagged 2 bottles of Lucas Oil assembly lube.

20180611_155646-L.jpg

I still need head gaskets, was looking at a Cometic MLS set.

Last edited: