The H'ell Camino

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Justin ( @Anchor_Mtn ) had a few GM parts kicking around that I snagged this weekend. He had a LS1 intake and a 700R4 transmission, both were a good deal and hard to pass up.

The LS1 intake will get new injectors and a Holley Sniper throttle body, as the cable truck TB I pulled from the wrecking yard won't work on the car intake. The car intake sure looks better that the truck intake! I'll loose some bottom end torque, but should gain high RPM horsepower.

20180623_101702.jpg

The 700R4 was part of a few pieces he recently acquired with a new project. The transmissions current condition is unknown, but its clean and the trans fluid looks/smells good. I wanted a 4L80E, but this could do and not require an additional trans controller at $600+. I think I'm going to get the LS engine running with the TH350 at first, then decide if I want to gamble and try running the 700R4 as is. At the very least I could use it as a core?

20180623_174111.jpg

I also got the Gen 4, 4.8 rods and flat top pistons from Dunkin ( @Noahfecks ). The piston skirts have enough wear that I'm not too keen on running them as is. I'll have the machine shop check them out, but I will probably spring for new pistons on these rods just to make sure it's done right. Dunkin had bought them used, online and didn't really get a chance to check them out, not his fault at all.

20180623_101710.jpg

20180623_101825.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Run the 700. “Hardest” part is getting the TV cable adjusted. I’m sure there’s a couple YouTube videos out there. Worth taking a chance in my opinion. Overdrive is sweet, low first gear is a bonus as well. Use the T350 as fall back

Greg

Admin
Run the 700. “Hardest” part is getting the TV cable adjusted. I’m sure there’s a couple YouTube videos out there. Worth taking a chance in my opinion. Overdrive is sweet, low first gear is a bonus as well. Use the T350 as fall back

You think I should toss it in with the LS1, once it's ready? I'd be heartbroken if I get it running and the trans is junk! X-D

Greg

Admin
Next round of engine parts came from Summit Racing, including new SpeedPro flat top pistons, rings and a trunnion upgrade kit for the rockers.

The stock rockers have small roller needles in them and are one of the few weak points of the LS engines, they can come apart and lead to small fragments of steel getting into the oil pan and beyond. I didn't want to deal with that! Also picked up a car balancer, billet ICT valley pan cover and some LS-specific builder tools. I still need all the car engine accessories, mounts and water pump... but that can all wait.

20180729_142500.jpg

20180729_142921.jpg

20180729_142839.jpg

Next up, machine work... need to get the crank, rods and pistons balanced and get bearings all sorted. The crank may need to be turned, need the machine shop to make that determination. Hopefully I can start assembling the engine soon!

Greg

Admin
Next up, machine work... need to get the crank, rods and pistons balanced and get bearings all sorted. The crank may need to be turned, need the machine shop to make that determination. Hopefully I can start assembling the engine soon!

Bad news.... the only decent machine shop on my area isn't able to take my parts in for a few weeks, putting the engine assembly that much further back. :confused:

I was hoping to have the car running and driving by September, but with the delay I don't know that will happen. We will see.... I just want to be able to drive it a few times before Winter.

lhracing

If you have any question about the 700R4 I know a rebuilder who can make them hold up to BIG power. We ran one in a 650hp 69 El Camino on slicks a RMR with a 5200 stall converter and it held up. On the street if they are built right and because of the lack of traction they will last for years.

Greg

Admin
With that time frame, would it be worth driving all the parts to a SLC shop instead?

I honestly considered bringing the parts to UT County and Strasburg Machine in Lindon (my personal favorite machine shop), but that means two trips up to UT and back. I'm not sure the time savings is worth the effort and cost. Plus, if they need something else along the way that I have then it's another trip I'd have to make.

If you have any question about the 700R4 I know a rebuilder who can make them hold up to BIG power. We ran one in a 650hp 69 El Camino on slicks a RMR with a 5200 stall converter and it held up. On the street if they are built right and because of the lack of traction they will last for years.

I appreciate that, I'm going to run it and go from there. If it works good and I'm happy with it, perhaps I'll build a proper 700R4 and just run it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I honestly considered bringing the parts to UT County and Strasburg Machine in Lindon (my personal favorite machine shop), but that means two trips up to UT and back. I'm not sure the time savings is worth the effort and cost. Plus, if they need something else along the way that I have then it's another trip I'd have to make.

I appreciate that, I'm going to run it and go from there. If it works good and I'm happy with it, perhaps I'll build a proper 700R4 and just run it.

700 are the shiznit. LOW first gear and OD. If you've got good power, which you're talking about having, that seems like a great match?

Greg

Admin
It shouldn't be this hard to find a decent machine shop in Grand Junction.... :mad: Nobody wants to answer the phone, have a voice mail box that works or even open the effing doors during normal business hours!