The I-15 bounce!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Anyone who has ever been in a crew cab long bed on I-15 through salt lake knows about the I-15 bounce.. the front and rear tires will cross the concrete seams at the same time, resulting in a slight bounce.. Do this over and over at speed, and the bouncing can knock the fillings out of your teeth, bang your head on the roof, give you a herniated disc, or just plain make you angry.
My current F350 has gotten REALLY bad. It was not this bad originally, so I am assuming a part has worn out. I am thinking I will start with shocks.
Has anyone ever successfully solved their bouncing??
I don't know if air bags would make it better or worse.
I found this:
http://sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-06

Seems like a sweet solution, but pretty spendy.

Reactions: DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That bounce is exactly why I traded my F-350 in, even after installing new bilsteins and new tires and wheels. The only time it didn't bounce that bad was when I had a shell on it and when I pulled the 5th wheel.

Brad J

I get the bounce as well with my F250 Ext Cab Long Bed. I added air bags but that didn't seem to make a difference. I have been meaning to get new Shocks since they are probably stock and almost 20 years old. That shackle looks like a great option.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I personally think it's the Ford rear suspension. We drove several 2017 and 2018 trucks of all different configurations. All of the Fords had that bounce. I suspect it's the overload spring contacting the pads. The Dodge and Chevy trucks we test drove didn't have the bounce... And didn't have the overload spring setup like the Fords do.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I forgot to say, that if there is a load or trailer on the truck then I have no bounce. It is strictly and empty issue. My brother has an '06 dodge 3500 cclb, He also gets the bounce.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I personally think it's the Ford rear suspension. We drove several 2017 and 2018 trucks of all different configurations. All of the Fords had that bounce. I suspect it's the overload spring contacting the pads. The Dodge and Chevy trucks we test drove didn't have the bounce... And didn't have the overload spring setup like the Fords do.

My Dodge didn't do it on I15 but it did it on I80 between Parley's and I15

DAA

There is a stretch of I-80 west of Wells that makes the I-15 bounce seem like a scalp massage. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm driving, it's bad. My buddies Tacoma bucks like a bronco on that stretch even fully loaded with all our gear. And my Ram 1500, which has the smoothest, plushest ride of any pickup I've ever been in, still gets to hopping through there. My Jeep though, holy crap, like an 80 MPH whoop section.

FWIW... The I-15 bounce isn't even a thing, in my Ram 1500, just doesn't even happen at all - other than hearing the slap of the joints, don't even notice it. But that truck is like driving a big Chrysler 300. The bounce might just be something that has to be lived with in a truck with any real leaf sprung payload capacity.

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had the bounce bad in my 2015 F350 LB CC, but I haven't experienced it yet in my Ram 3500 SB CC. We are quite happy with it's ride and payload capacity. It sits perfectly level with the 5th wheel hooked up.

Reactions: DAA

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I get it a little bit in my Supercrew, which is a lot shorter wheelbase than a CCLB. It got worse when I put the swingout bumper on the back.

I've got crap for shocks on there right now though, and they're probably worn out too.

Pile of parts

I should clarify my original post. I meant to say that I don't know anything about the product you posted in your link. I definitely do know about the bounce. My previous truck, 2001 Dodge Ext. Cab 2500, longbed and my current truck, 2015, 4 door 3500, longbed both made/make for interesting drives while trying to have a conversation on the phone. Neither one has a problem with weight on it. I was just hoping to talk you into being the guinea pig to solve my problem. :D

ricsrx

it is horribly bad in my 04 Ford CC LB, but i have had it in my 03 RAM CC LB, just not as bad as the ford

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's definitely a wheel base thing. When I was truck shopping both the 2012ish CC LB Chevy and Dodge did it on that section. My Ford does it on that section of 1-15 too. My 03 supercab LB Ford didn't really though and it had front leaves and rode like a covered wagon everywhere. I'm thinking I'll do new shocks first as I just hit 110,000 miles.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I had a 2006 F350 crew cab long bed, and it would almost bounce me off the road.

My 2013 Ram 2500 is a crew cab long bed as well, but it doesn't bounce at all.

My friend has a 2006 Chevy 2500 Crew cab short bed, it doesn't bounce even though the shocks are completely shot.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I used to get it too in my CC LB Ford. Not as much in my '01 CC SB duramax. The worst was University Avenue between Bulldog and Center in Provo. I swear, my butt would leave my seat on those bounces in my CC LB PSD.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I get it in my CC LB F350 too. It was worse before I replaced the worn out factory shocks with Bilstien 5100's. My understanding is it is a harmonics issue. The fame on long beds is longer from the rear cross member to the rear leaf mounts and this causes flex in the frame. My neighbor is a Ford Diesel tech and says Ford has a damper which is basically a weight suspended in rubber that they mount to the frame near the hitch. Not sure if you can buy this or if it actually works. I have read some on other forums of people fabbing additional cross members as far back as they can to stiffen the frame with some success. I have also heard it is better on the 2017 Ford's with the fully boxed frame. My dad's 17 CC SB doesn't do it at all. You should buy the shackles and let us all know how they work.