Isuzu The Isuzu Trooper discussion thread

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
This might be a long shot but does anyone here know Isuzu's? Long story short I'm looking into the Isuzu Troopers http://www.cars-directory.net/history/isuzu/trooper/ and right now I'm just brainstorming ideas. I like the classic first gens a lot but from what I've gathered the engines aren't the greatest with the most powerful being the GM 2.8 60* V6 :-\ Diesel would be cool but nearly impossible to find. So far I've been seeing decent ones running for well under 2K which is a bonus. They are popular over seas but for whatever reason they never really took off in the sates so there are aftermarket bumpers (bull bars etc.) and accessories. I never liked the 2.8, but GM performance has a decent priced bolt in 3.4 that should provide ~150hp which could be an option.

The IFS would be removed in favor of a Waggy D44 and a Toyota 8" rear all the while keeping it as low as possible and fitting 255/85's. Anyway is there anything to avoid in my search? I'm just scratching the surface here but I've heard that the Toyota R series/AX-15 5 speeds will attach to the GM 60* bellhousing in one way or another--it would be great to have the gear options with the Toyota or Jeep trans/T-cases. Anyway I'm just thinking out loud lets hear your ideas :p Thanks,

Andrew

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If your looking for a project then good on ya, but I'm not a big fan. If staying under 2k is the problem, just get a cherokee, thats what I did

chans

My dad had a 1991 he bought new and it had the 4cyl gas motor which wouldn't be a bad way to go for an engine since it would be about the same power and reliablility as a Toyota 4cyl. The Trooper had 290,000 miles on it and 17 years before he sent it to the junk yard because it was rusty and needed a cluch and flywheel. Other than that he just had to have the valves adjusted and change the fluids. It was still running all the original parts under the hood except the battery. He also had the 4cyl diesel motor in the p'up and that would be one sweet Trooper if you can find one. It got 50 miles per gallon and had good power and torque. It sucked when he got it though because in the late 80s he had to fill it up at the truckstops downtown because gas stations didn't really have diesel at the pumps and no one drove them. A few years ago I found a diesel Trooper and wished I would have bought it and put one of these kits on it.
https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=1_123

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I always thought that a 1st gen with the Turbo Diesel would be awesome. About a year ago I spent some time looking into getting a Trooper, it's hard to find a good one out there. Most are rusted out or have other major mechanical issues. Also, there isn't much in the way of aftermarket support for them.
I would love to see someone build one up! I ultimately just decided to stick with my Samurai, but a Trooper could still be in my future.
Here is the thread that I started, has some OK info:
http://rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=54502&highlight=Trooper

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
8385-IsuzuTrooper.jpg

trooper.JPG

CIMG3486.jpg

trooper1.JPG

Passey's old Trooper..
1588644245_1da7115754_o.jpg

Last edited:

rollover

I have a 2 Gen I'd sell if you want one.
94 3.0 V6 AUTO A/C needs some tlc. It is going to be my winter project if I find time.

KWight

I bought a 1984 Isuzu Trooper in 1994 and exported it to Guatemala that Summer. Priort to heading south to it's final home I wheeled it a bit in AZ. It did great in the rocks as it was really light and climbed really good. Once I got it in the deep snow it was worthless as I could not dig down and get much traction. It did great on some of the old backcountry areas in Guatemala as well. I have had several 4x4 vehicles prior to that time and since then and that one rated as one of the best in stock form.

Kevin

notajeep

Just me
The toyota r series trannies have the same bolt pattern and will bolt right in allowing you all the toyota tcase options in your trooper. Its been a while, but seems like I heard that the rear end is soursed from another oem and was a fairly common unit.....

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks a lot for the reply's!

The more I think about it the more I like it :cool: I decided that I am going to avoid the 2.8 altogether as the 4cyl seems to be just as common and far more reliable. It is just too much to ask for anyone to have made a decent V6 (aside from the GM 4.3) in the 80's and I'll take slow and reliable over slow and questionable--uhhgg oh well :p

Anyway I'm going to be patient and hold out for a clean one for a decent price so we'll see what happens.

Edit: www.planetisuzoo.com seems to be a great source of info.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i had a 90 4-door with the v-6 and 5 speed and it was a fun car for a 16 year old for sure. i used to "wheel" it and it was fun (for being ifs and really lousy for wheeling) until the 4wd stopped working. i am pretty sure it was the auto-locking hubs that died on me... but it had plenty of power loaded up with friends for snowboarding going over parleys and i have always thought they sounded cool, i think its the really loud fan or something.
i replaced it with a cherokee, well 2 cherokees and i am happy about that, but if i was rich i would consider getting an old trooper to beat on... good times :D

pretty sure calmini has stuff for them too BTW