The Jeep Dolly

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've thought about beefing up my trailer in spots just because... well, I have a welder and I like to tinker. After looking at it and thinking about it I came to the conclusion that when it was designed (hopefully by an engineer) they let the whole thing be lightweight and flexible. I worried that if I added strength in the wrong places that it would actually cause problems. Interesting thoughts no doubt...?

I agree with the changes you propose though. It sounds cool and I can't wait to see it. I'd actually like to build one eventually because even though my trailer is only a 16' deck I could definitely build one smaller that fits my needs perfectly. Unlike others I really only use my trailer for hauling my Jeep and not even very often so having it be easy to store is paramount.

RockChucker

I've thought about beefing up my trailer in spots just because... well, I have a welder and I like to tinker. After looking at it and thinking about it I came to the conclusion that when it was designed (hopefully by an engineer) they let the whole thing be lightweight and flexible. I worried that if I added strength in the wrong places that it would actually cause problems. Interesting thoughts no doubt...?

Good thoughts. Assuming the engineer that designed it was doing things right, the goal should have been that the stresses distributed throughout the members of the frame should be relatively equal. Only beefing up certain areas could back fire and cause stress concentrations that lead to premature failure. Not 100% for sure, but depending on how the stresses are distributed through the frame, could happen.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Good thoughts. Assuming the engineer that designed it was doing things right, the goal should have been that the stresses distributed throughout the members of the frame should be relatively equal. Only beefing up certain areas could back fire and cause stress concentrations that lead to premature failure. Not 100% for sure, but depending on how the stresses are distributed through the frame, could happen.

perfect example is a unibody Nova/camaro, Mustangs, XJs----you brace one area and that transfers stresses to other areas

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've built a few trailers, and am always down for more. I'd be very interested in knowing the number of hours and cost involved in designing and building whatever trailer you decide. It would be fun to compare to just an off the lot trailer for overall cost and effort.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've built a few trailers, and am always down for more. I'd be very interested in knowing the number of hours and cost involved in designing and building whatever trailer you decide. It would be fun to compare to just an off the lot trailer for overall cost and effort.
If I could find a trailer that met my desires, I would buy it tomorrow. As far as the cost and labor involved, I really don't care to add it up. It just doesn't matter to me.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I love the light as possible approach, I also think making it sit as low as possible is also the ticket to towing with ease, Wind drag of a lifted Jeep on the trailer is worse than towing an overweight trailer. so I would go witht he approach of Kenny Blumes old trailer just to get the over all height down.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I used my son's discount for steel at his local supplier in Spanish Fork. While the discount was awesome, the help there was a bit... Well they couldn't read a tape measure. I spent about 2 hours getting loaded with mostly what I wanted. I also got this nice chunk of 3/4" plate for another project. It was supposed to be 1/2" plate, but the skill of tape measure reading is not as prevalent as I once thought.
E1F3158C-1F73-46C8-9CB8-5478742B37BF.jpeg6FA22C5A-7D39-4309-A540-88E2C28809B7.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I agree with the changes you propose though. It sounds cool and I can't wait to see it. I'd actually like to build one eventually because even though my trailer is only a 16' deck I could definitely build one smaller that fits my needs perfectly. Unlike others I really only use my trailer for hauling my Jeep and not even very often so having it be easy to store is paramount.
This is an excellent article on strengthening an existing trailer. There is also a wealth of great information related to trailering and building trailers.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
And it's now mobile. One problem I've realized now though, is Anthony's TJ tires won't be climbing over much of the trailer tires. Only about 1/3 of his tires width will be in them. So now I'm contemplating some sort of hideous bridge structure, or narrowing the axle more.94180578-D677-4D6B-A9B2-F8EC9ACE04DA.jpeg0A75C363-A9A9-4749-AE5D-C568A64B1628.jpeg0068F38D-5250-49AE-8993-DA5996C6FD10.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since you're planning on fenders anyway, make your "hideous bridge" the inner support for the fenders, and be done.
That was a thought as well, but the fenders will be removed when loading and unloading. So that support bridge may be somewhat tall.