The Jeep Dolly

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Time for 60s under the TJ!

Really though, why does it matter if he doesn't drive over the whole tire? From what I can tell in pics, it looks like he'd just run on the frame rail (trailer deck?) if he slid off...?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Time for 60s under the TJ!

Really though, why does it matter if he doesn't drive over the whole tire? From what I can tell in pics, it looks like he'd just run on the frame rail (trailer deck?) if he slid off...?
I'd prefer him contacting more like half of the tire. I'm worried about him sliding off and getting far enough over to drop off and damage something.

Pile of parts

Can he just come in all on one side? example - driver's side over the left trailer tire and his passenger inside of the right trailer tire. Or, will you not have any sort of decking in that area?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm hoping mine comes out looking nicer than that. 😬

That being said, I need to figure out what I'm doing for the finish coat. Paint it with implement paint? Raptor-liner? I also saw a new DIY bedliner that's water-based that might be interesting to try. Powdercoat would be awesome, but I'm worried about lead times. I have a trip to take it on for Thanksgiving.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm hoping mine comes out looking nicer than that. 😬

That being said, I need to figure out what I'm doing for the finish coat. Paint it with implement paint? Raptor-liner? I also saw a new DIY bedliner that's water-based that might be interesting to try. Powdercoat would be awesome, but I'm worried about lead times. I have a trip to take it on for Thanksgiving.

I’d skip the complicated nonsense and just paint it... probably with por-15 and maybe even brush on.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Take your trip without paint and powdercoat after. They will blast before coating either way. This gives the added benefit of testing before paint, allowing you to add things you may find you want on the trip.
The problem with that is pulling all of the lights and wiring after they've been installed, including several soldered connections.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Looks awesome. I want one.
If you pull the tongue and jack, any potential thieves probably won’t know what it is 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m anxiously awaiting the lb and dollabill figures.
I'm expecting it will be too heavy and too expensive. I'm planning on having it powdercoated, so the cost of this build is something I'm not paying attention to at all.

I'm going to utilize this welded wire panel to create a couple place to stow gear between the main frame rails.

68129386-AF3E-418C-9AA5-D02D94E247F0.jpeg

RockChucker

Who are you going to use to have it powder coated? I've had excellent results using Steel Coatings in SLC for wheels. They actually prep things correctly before powder. And their oven is huge. I think they can do a dumptruck bed. Matt Hayes was the name of the feller I worked with.