The KTM 1090, a midlife bike.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thought I'd start a thread to document mods and fun thing done on and too this bike.

It's a 2018 1090 adventure r. The 1090 was only produced in 2014- 2018 so this is the newest model year. Funny story, I picked it up from Dan Evans of fox 13 news. Didn't even know who he was.

Picked it up in May with 9200 miles.
20200513_215159.jpg

Current mods
-ktm power parts seat (super comfy)
-1290 rear rack.
- KTM power parts skid plate.
- Tusk high fender.
- Tusk pannier racks. Designed by Vonski?
- progrip gel grips over stock KTM grip heaters.
- Power cell filter pods.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've got just under 12k miles on it now. She's a big girl but that is fantastic on the highway. Cruises 80 with no drama.
I haven't done any single-track but double track and atv trails are doable. Once you're moving the bike really feels much lighter than it is.
Traction control absolutely kills it off road though. That is one of my only gripes. It remembers the drive mode but forgets traction control mode every time the engine is turned off.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Gravy and I did an impromptu ride in early July. Did just shy of 600 miles in 2.5 days. Pavement at close to triple digits, lots of graded gravel and some tight atv trails.

Here she is loaded up next to Strattons Italian stallion.

20200629_141648.jpg

I'm currently running some Nielsen Riggs pannier bags with a Tusk Olympus tank bag.
I ordered a tusk tail bag this week and will likely end up getting their panniers too. They have some cool features like quick release on a soft pannier. Plus they are pretty reasonably priced.

The rear TKC 80 is almost shot. Trying to figure out what to run next. The motoz rally is high on the list.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've got another TKC80 if you want to sava a buck.
Also I've got a brand new Tusk Recon Adventure in a 140?
I had bought them when I had the 690 but didn't need to give them away with the bike.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
[QUOTE="glockman, post: 1147728]
-ktm power parts seat (super comfy)
-1290 rear rack.
- KTM power parts skid plate.
- Tusk high fender.
- Tusk pannier racks. Designed by Vonski?
- progrip gel grips over stock KTM grip heaters.
- Power cell filter pods.
[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the bike! I have 2 older bros that each have ‘18 1090’s. For what it’s worth, I designed the high fender kit, but those panniers were before my time there.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Added some storage for the tool kit and tire repair kit today.

20200916_112552.jpg
It fits both but not much else. Tucks pretty tight and is waterproof and lockable.
20200916_112545.jpg

Then I took it for a romp to see if it would hold. I forget how large and amazing the Wasatch mountains are sometimes.
20200916_121356.jpg
20200916_131732.jpg
I'm getting mor comfortable with this bike in the dirt and it's a hoot.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
On several of the longer rides I've done on this bike I've started to wish it had larger pegs. I've always oogled billet bling pegs but have never been able to choke down the $200 for them. Enter Nicecnc pegs.

20200920_180142.jpg

They claim to be made in the US and were $75. They are huge.
Stock vs bling
20200920_125415.jpg
Can't wait to spend some time standing on them but I'm a little too sore today from the Knolls usra race yesterday. Hope to get a ride in later this week.

I also found a shorty tusk clutch lever cleaning some boxes up in the garage so I threw it on. Two finger gear banging here we come. 🤘

20200920_150052.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Last of the items on the short list, new rear tire.
The tkc 80 was done.
20200921_120851.jpg
Replaced it with a Motoz Tractionator Rally.
20200921_160119.jpg
Quick rip up the dirt past Tibble Fork and it was pretty impressive in the dirt. Howls pretty notably on the pavement but acceptable. Lots of people claiming to get 5k miles out of these. Time will tell. Bike has 11,800 miles for reference.
Also,
The pegs are a sizable improvement.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
With warmer weather, I've taken the 1090 out a few times now.
The KTM plastic handguards offer zero protection if you drop this freightliner. So I opted to get a set of D-Flex Pro wrap arounds from RMATV. I've used them on several bikes and they are a great value.

Next on the list was mirrors. One of the stock mirrors was replaced with a cheap aftermarket mirror by the PO. It bugged me that they were slightly different height and shape. I put Doubletake mirrors on my 690 but they were the round model. Doubletake now has an adventure model that has a shorter arm so it should cause less slipping an eliminate the need to crank down so hard on the RAM ball mounts to keep them tight.

Not a bad improvement for $150 and an hour.

20210301_154159.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
125 HP and 450lbs. It's fun.
450lbs? I dunno about that. Felt heavier when we picked it up on the side of that mountain in the Swell ;) I thought KTM says they're 507lbs?
That does seem to be a big girl. Looks good though. I haven't ridden since I was 20. Not sure it's good to start now but it's crossed my mind a few times
You should get a bike. It's much cheaper than therapy.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
450lbs? I dunno about that. Felt heavier when we picked it up on the side of that mountain in the Swell ;) I thought KTM says they're 507lbs?

You should get a bike. It's much cheaper than therapy.
It feels like 500 and probably is north that with just my normal stuff on it.