The KTM 1090, a midlife bike.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
What is Ride On Balancer and Sealant? Also, do you need any bags? I have everything except the new Wildcat bag.
It's like slime but thicker and dynamic balances your wheel/tire.

I have enough bags to pack way more than I should😁 thanks for the offer.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
After Oregon, I haven't ridden this bike a whole lot. It has just over 17K miles on it now. The 2nd service is due at 18,600 miles but I change the oil every fall and I'm close enough I'll just perform the rest of the service.

This includes
checking valve clearance
changing brake fluid front and rear
changing spark plugs (all 4)
changing the SAS membranes
cleaning the air filters.

I pulled the tank to get to the air filters and surprisingly, they are pretty dirty. More than dirty, there has been a ton of oil spit into the airbox from the crank case vents.

While pulling the air box to get to the valve clearance, the SAS evap stuff is right in the way and a pain to take off and put back on. I already deleted the charcoal canister to gain some under seat storage for tools so I decided I'll just remove the rest of the SAS stuff. I ordered the EVAP delete kit from Powercell Performance.

Stopped here for the night. Front spark plugs are removed and valve cover is ready to come off. The rear cylinder under all those wires is going to be fun.

1000000515.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well, after checking all 8 valves, all 4 intakes were very tight. Spec is 0.10-0.15mm. I couldn't fit a 0.054mm shim under any of them. This is not surprising after the OEM air filter let so much dirt into the motor. Luckily all 4 exhaust valves were in spec at 0.25mm.
Out come the cams.
1000000685.jpg

I dug into shimming the intakes which was not easy due to not having a valid starting point. If I could measure them at x I could subtract that from the current shim to get the appropriate shim. Not being able to fit any shim made it a guessing game. Luckily I have two shim kits. Unluckily, they are the wrong size. I have 7.48mm and 9.48mm diameter and the KTM's all take 10mm shims. GRRRR. Luckily the 9.48mm shims worked to determine what value I needed so I could just order them individually.

There isn't much room on this bike to get to the cam bridges and there are 9 bolts on each. This little Icon bit ratchet I picked up has been handy on several jobs but was super useful here.
5449.jpg

You can see the ratchet in this photo. It was able with the extension to break the 18nm bolts loose pretty easily.
1000000684.jpg

The Power Cell SAS delete showed up yesterday so I installed it. It was pretty simple and consists of a couple block off plates and a few plug shunts with the correct resistor to trick the computer.

1000000686.jpg
Picked up new plugs, all 4 for a measly $75!! You gotta pay to play I guess.

Got everything shimmed to spec and went to put it all back together.
I put the cam chain tensioners back in and went to spin the engine over a few times to check TDC markings on the cams and also check valve clearance one last time. Strange noise in the front cylinder. Chain goes tight, then slack. Found the OEM tensioner has failed. Looks like I will be ordering some Dirt Tricks cam chain tensioners this week before I get it put back together.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Well, after checking all 8 valves, all 4 intakes were very tight. Spec is 0.10-0.15mm. I couldn't fit a 0.054mm shim under any of them. This is not surprising after the OEM air filter let so much dirt into the motor. Luckily all 4 exhaust valves were in spec at 0.25mm.
Out come the cams.
View attachment 154595

I dug into shimming the intakes which was not easy due to not having a valid starting point. If I could measure them at x I could subtract that from the current shim to get the appropriate shim. Not being able to fit any shim made it a guessing game. Luckily I have two shim kits. Unluckily, they are the wrong size. I have 7.48mm and 9.48mm diameter and the KTM's all take 10mm shims. GRRRR. Luckily the 9.48mm shims worked to determine what value I needed so I could just order them individually.

There isn't much room on this bike to get to the cam bridges and there are 9 bolts on each. This little Icon bit ratchet I picked up has been handy on several jobs but was super useful here.
View attachment 154593

You can see the ratchet in this photo. It was able with the extension to break the 18nm bolts loose pretty easily.
View attachment 154594

The Power Cell SAS delete showed up yesterday so I installed it. It was pretty simple and consists of a couple block off plates and a few plug shunts with the correct resistor to trick the computer.

View attachment 154596
Picked up new plugs, all 4 for a measly $75!! You gotta pay to play I guess.

Got everything shimmed to spec and went to put it all back together.
I put the cam chain tensioners back in and went to spin the engine over a few times to check TDC markings on the cams and also check valve clearance one last time. Strange noise in the front cylinder. Chain goes tight, then slack. Found the OEM tensioner has failed. Looks like I will be ordering some Dirt Tricks cam chain tensioners this week before I get it put back together.
Good catch on the tensioner! That could have been easily overlooked and ended poorly.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My dirt tricks parts arrived this week.

1000000740.jpg

The install is pretty straight forward on the front cylinder. On the rear, the tensioner angles down. The dirt tricks tensioners open with gravity so you can't just drop it in. I tried a few methods but ended up laying the bike on its side and installing it.
Next was the spark plugs. I opened the boxes and found this.
1000000755.jpg

Grrrr. Another trip to rocky mountain and I had 4 new plugs.
The cleaned and oiled pod filters went on after the plugs and air box.
1000000758.jpg
You can see the holes in the front of the air box where the snorkels feed cold air. Since installing the pods, the intake is super clean but the air box was full of bugs. They sell pre filters but they are $100. So I made my own.
A little ty wire to keep the filter in place.

1000000759.jpg

Cut some filters from some spair foam

1000000760.jpg

Bug catcher installed.
1000000761.jpg

Put the tank and all the plastics back on and changed the oil and replaced the rear brake pads.
Should be good for another 10k miles now.