The Longview chassis build

jsudar

So I started this tube chassis build before my now fifteen year old son was born. And I "finished" it last Friday. Of course, nothing is ever really finished, right?

Back in the early 2000's, the plan was narrowed Kyosho TwinForce axles, a Losi XXX stadium truck trans, a brushless airplane outrunner motor with a German made Kontronik ESC and an airplane 3s Lipo. The car never drove in that configuration.

Around 2010, @cuban b traded some parts with me and I ended up with some HPI Wheely King axles. I installed those in the chassis with a three link in the front and a five link in the rear. The steering servo (along with EVERYTHING else) was mounted in the lower part of the chassis and used a bell crank to steer. I managed to cram all the electronics into the belly pan for low COG, but it was a nightmare to work on. The bell crank wasn't awesome so it only kind of steered, but I let my five year old drive it and he let the smoke out of the motor so that only mattered for about ten minutes. Back on the shelf it went for several more years.

I had an Axial trans that I got from @cuban b and I decided that needed to go in the car. Along with extended trans outputs, new drivelines and a rear straight axle (no knuckles) conversion. I took this opportunity to move the servo to the front of the chassis . I got a new airplane outrunner motor and stole the Mamba ESC from my big Kyosho crawler. Then it sat in pieces for the next four years.

Last week, @Corban_White inspired me with his new chassis build and I got to work. It had been over fifteen years since I started... I redid all the suspension, so it's now a three link with a panhard front and rear. Steering servo is mounted like a steering box in the chassis, with equal length panhard and draglink (no bumpsteer!) Finally, made a battery tray and mounted a waterproof Traxxas receiver box for the Rx. Body panels are Wal-Mart cutting board HDPE. I made some new steering links on the lathe and some link mounting blocks on the mill. Building custom RC cars is so much better with a lathe and mill. Also used the o/A torch to make the chassis mods, which is so much better than the plumbing propane torch I started with. I do have a tiny torch I use for brazing bicycle frames, but I think an O/A jewelers torch would be the most awesomest. Anyway, here are some pics-- still missing two body panels above the boat sides. Now I'm on to the next project. Should finish about the time I retire from my day job.

Attachments

• buggy 6.jpg
    buggy 6.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 14
  • buggy 5.jpg
    buggy 5.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 14
  • buggy 4.jpg
    buggy 4.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 13
  • buggy 3.jpg
    buggy 3.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 14
  • buggy 2.jpg
    buggy 2.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 13
  • buggy 1.jpg
    buggy 1.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 15

Coco

I am just going to say I am happy to see this forum getting some life back in it lol. I still have a drawer full of parts, and could probably build another car at some point, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do brazing, and get it done. Heck I still have an airbrush I have never used that I would like mess with....

Corban_White

Let me know anytime you want to figure out brazing/soldering. I learned and then taught my 11yo in about 15 min total. Now that I have practice I could show you in less than 5 min. Heck, I could probably have him do the teaching! I'm in Lehi and home most evenings/Saturdays.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Uh...I might be the last person to find out that RC car building could get this serious.

Here's one more thing I'll never be skilled enough to build. Very cool for you.

Sad for me.

Coco

Let me know anytime you want to figure out brazing/soldering. I learned and then taught my 11yo in about 15 min total. Now that I have practice I could show you in less than 5 min. Heck, I could probably have him do the teaching! I'm in Lehi and home most evenings/Saturdays.
You're way close by then! I will reach out in the near future. :cool: