Topic of Discussion The Mahindra Roxor thread

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
These have been talked about a bit on RME, thought it was time for a dedicated thread! I've been slow to get excited about these, but after seeing them in person, I actually like what they are. They're being marketed as a UTV, basically... but the design is based on a old Jeep and they have some very familiar features. Solid axles that are very close to Dana 44's, solid frame with leaf springs, etc. What's really cool is the diesel engine under the hood, Jeep guys have wanted a diesel for years and now that there will finally be a diesel Wrangler, but Mahindra beat Jeep to the punch!

Here's all the specs;

Wheelbase- 96"
Base Curb Weight- 3035 lbs
Length-148" (w/ spare 156”)
Width- 62"
Height- 75"
Ground Clearance- 9"
Fuel Capacity-12 gal
Rear Payload Capacity- 349 lbs
Towing Capacity- 3490 lbs

Engine- Turbo Diesel m2DiCR
Cylinders- 4, 4stroke Compression Ign
Displacement- 2.5L / 152 cu. In.
Bore & Stroke- 88.9 x 101.6mm
Power- 62 HP @ 3200 rpm
Torque- 144 ft lbs @ 1400-2200 rp
Compression Ratio-18.6 : 1

Transmission- 5 spd manual
Transfer Case- 2 Spd manual
Driveline- 2wd / 4wd
Full Floating Front Axle- 3.73 : 1 gears
Full Floating Rear Axle- 3.73 : 1 gears

I had a chance today to look over a few Roxors at my local ATV dealership (Perri's in GJ) and comparing them to older Jeep CJ's they look very similar. The fenders, hood, door shape, etc all look like a CJ7. It does look like there is even more room in the back than a CJ7/YJ, but it could be the lack of a rear seat throwing me off. The interior is very basic, but it fits for what is basically a utility vehicle. The dealership I was checking them out at had some aftermarket parts on them, bumpers, Warn winches, LED light bars, etc. I can only imagine what the aftermarket will provide for these.

You can 'build' one out on their website - https://www.roxoroffroad.com/build

I hear you can buy a 'street legal kit' for them, but it sounds like others are getting a VIN plate and title for a old CJ and 'making it work' on a Roxor.... that's quite questionable, though. :D

Here's some pics I took today, the local dealer is going to do a Demo Day this Spring and I'm hoping to get some seat time offroad behind the wheel then!

20190215_130414-L.jpg

20190215_130033-L.jpg

20190215_130205-L.jpg

20190215_130045-L.jpg

20190215_130053-L.jpg

20190215_130058-L.jpg

20190215_130329-L.jpg

20190215_130339-L.jpg

20190215_130445-L.jpg

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I found the Jalopnik video comparison of the Mahindra vs Willys to be rather humorous. Specifically the fact that they wore helmets in the Mahindra which had a full cage and no helmet in the Willys with only a bar. Honestly, If I wasn't building my TJ and I wanted a leaf sprung rig, I'd look at them. Hard to beat for the price.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
First mod: have Carl cut me a proper grill and paint to match.

Actually, ever since I showed my wife these she wants one pretty bad. And she's basically been not supportive of any of the rigs I've purchased in the past. So I'll be watching the thread closely...

Get one! I am sure when you sell it 3 months later, someone here will be happy to take it off your hands... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4x4_Welder

As far as I understand they don't meet on road emissions or safety standards so can't be officially street legal. Having said that, I can see how one might be useful for a restoration on an older CJ with severe rot issues. There are a lot of people who would not be disturbed by a straight up VIN transplant.

Coco

I am still trying to figure out why Jesse or that other guy didn't link them instead of leaf springs. I mean, I know leaf springs are simple, but if you're going that far, why not go to link suspension?

POR

I am still trying to figure out why Jesse or that other guy didn't link them instead of leaf springs. I mean, I know leaf springs are simple, but if you're going that far, why not go to link suspension?

I think Hickey is right.. i dont think class rules would allow them to link. Really they shouldnt even been able to race in that class as they aren't street legal. Im sure the utv guys would have thrown a fit but thats the class they should have been in.