the MAN sized crawler hauler build thread

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So here it is......

Ive talked about a lot so I figured I better get a thread started and post a couple pics.

So the new tow rig is a 04 F 650 with a CAT C7 and an Allison. Its a crew cab and has 119k on the odometer. It has a 11' flatbed.

The whole idea is to copy BuckingBronco's setup but on a much larger scale to fit my much larger Scout. I need 15' to fit the Scout on so I will be making a 4' dovetail off the back. This will put the front bumper into the headache rack and barely have all of the back tire on the truck.

So the Scout will ride on the flatbed and I will pull a camp trailer behind. This way I can leave camp at camp and still be able to get the Scout from trail to trail. Genius....I know.

Here are a couple pics. I wanted to get it cleaned up before I posted but I guess it will make the after pics look better :greg:
mansizedCrawlerHauler006.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler007.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler008.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler010.jpg

The interior is dang near identical to my 02 Superduty so it feels like home inside.

I bought some metal today and Im excited to get started on it.

Its going to take longer than it should to get this ready to use. We are having our baby this friday and I will be getting a knee surgery in about a month as well.

I would like to have it ready for the winter convention but I doubt it will happen and I might be recovering from surgery anyway so the REAL goal is to have it done by EJS. I have a couple small projects planned for the Scout to before Easter so I need to get my butt in gear.

I think this is going to be the perfect setup for me. We will see what happens when its done tho.

ChestonScout

The coolest part is this was actually a little cheaper than the setup I had before.

I had a 02 Cummins and a 28' trailer and this was a couple thousand cheaper!

LT.

I can't wait to see the build start. I am still trying to imagine the Scout sitting on the back of that truck. I can't picture it yet. Your Scout is gianourmous and the F**d is going to look small under the Scout. Good luck with the baby and your knee. Let me know if you need some help. I am wanting to take a road trip.

LT.

rollover

Looks like you found a gem to start with.

Can't wait to see this build take shape.

I think you've made alot of us on here jealous.

4554x4

always modifing something
Twins?

Cheston: We are having our baby this friday

Rock4fun: And we will having our baby this week also

You guys shouldn't party together! Congratulations to all 4 of ya!

Nice truck Cheston!

ChestonScout

Looks like you found a gem to start with.

I think you've made alot of us on here jealous.

Its SOOO much nicer than a few other local trucks I was looking at for the same price.

No one will be jealous when they blow by me like Im standing still on Soldier Summit :greg:

Cheston: We are having our baby this friday

Rock4fun: And we will having our baby this week also

You guys shouldn't party together! Congratulations to all 4 of ya!

Nice truck Cheston!

He must be having a EJS baby as well!

Good luck Rock4fun!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Very cool! A buddy up here has an old flat bed tow truck that he uses for a trail rig hauler. :cool:

Do you really think this will be a dog going over summit's?

ChestonScout

Im sure its not going to be as fast as Im used to on the hills. But Im hoping it wont be TOO bad.

Insurance actually isnt bad. Its about 5 bucks more a month than my one ton. Finding someone to do it is a little harder. Allstate wouldnt do it so I have to have Progressive cover it.

The biggest surprise so far has been Property tax. Everything is very comparable to a normal truck but they killed me on property taxes.

The age based uniform fee for a 04 normal truck is 110 per year.

Medium duties get charged 1.5% of "fair market value"

The assesor had the value down way high and they charged me $489!!!!

I complained about it and said it that is not fair market value and got them to drop it a bit so it ended up being like 305. Better but still absolutely rediculas.

Im still sick about that and it almost made me want to put the truck back up for sale.

On another note....I just found out my knee surgery is going to be Jan 7 with a 4-6 month recovery. YIKES