The mission thing

Houndoc

I know we pretty much laid to rest the conspiracy of 'watch Conference' to know how long a new missionary will be serving, but after a 6+ week wait my daughter finally got her mission call yesterday- traditionally worded "anticipated you will serve for a period of 18 months."

Called to the Philippines Antipolo Mission (we have a family theme, both my daughters called to Philippines, where my wife was born, and my son and I both in South Korea.)

ID Bronco

I know we pretty much laid to rest the conspiracy of 'watch Conference' to know how long a new missionary will be serving, but after a 6+ week wait my daughter finally got her mission call yesterday- traditionally worded "anticipated you will serve for a period of 18 months."

Called to the Philippines Antipolo Mission (we have a family theme, both my daughters called to Philippines, where my wife was born, and my son and I both in South Korea.)

Congratulations! What a cool thing to have that connection/language in your family. That is awesome.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have a question I've always been curious about, and I promise this isn't meant in any disrespectful way or to distract from the exciting news for your family, but when there is a tie in to a location you're called to... Like a family history or some other connection, and you're called to that area, do you consider it a message from or act of God that you were called there? Or do you chalk it up to a church decision maker taking those things into account, or maybe just happy coincidence?

I have a friend that was born in South Africa but moved here when he was 9 months and he went to South Africa, and my cousins lived in Korea for a couple years and they were called to Korea when they were of age. I've never really asked them but I've always wondered.

Houndoc

I have a question I've always been curious about, and I promise this isn't meant in any disrespectful way or to distract from the exciting news for your family, but when there is a tie in to a location you're called to... Like a family history or some other connection, and you're called to that area, do you consider it a message from or act of God that you were called there? Or do you chalk it up to a church decision maker taking those things into account, or maybe just happy coincidence?

I have a friend that was born in South Africa but moved here when he was 9 months and he went to South Africa, and my cousins lived in Korea for a couple years and they were called to Korea when they were of age. I've never really asked them but I've always wondered.

Great questions and certainly no disrespect in the question at all.

When they put in for a mission, they application asks a lot of questions- where is ancestors from, where have family members served missions and even what countries they have traveled to. So, when the church leaders are making the assignment, they have access to all that information.

I believe that it is that information, along with inspiration, determines the assignment.

As one church leader said awhile back "Good inspiration requires good information".

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A kid in our Ward just got his call to the Philippines and leaves July 24. I think it was the Cavite mission but I'm not positive.