The OMG toy hauler RV trailer build

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Ok so I finally got the trailer home. So it is 28x8 on the lower deck and 8x8 on the upper deck. If I put a 5 foot extention/beaver tail on it I can have both rigs and 16 feet of living space (with the 8x8 upper deck) I took it to the local trailer place here in St george and they said they would not build an enclosure on the front portion of the trailer.

Does anyone know names and numbers to any of the trailer places in salt lake area that might build a custom enclosure on the front of a trailer? I don't need a "rv' looking enclosure just a normal looking cargo trailer style enclosure would work fine then once it is water tight I can modify it on the inside for living space.

Who has put a beavertail on their trailer? was it worth it or was it a huge hassle?

The trailer and hitch setup works fine with the 6 inch lift and 35's on my tow rig I still have 6 to 8 inchs of seperation so I dont need to lift the trailer.

kirk86CJ

You may be able to find a small enclosed trailer, take the axles off, and set it on the upper deck - you would have to add some trim to fill in the fenders, but it might be easier than starting from scratch.

Im curious what the frame on the trailer is made of. My 30 ft gooseneck (30 ft deck) weighs about 4K with decking, and two 7K axles. I think its two 10" I-beams, and cross members out of 3" channel every 2'. It doesn't seem to over-built for the wight it carries.

I don't see how yours could weigh so much less.

Bart

I think if you are adding 5 feet to the back you'll need to move your axles back also. While you're doing that you might as well add enough length to still be leagal, but more comfortable. An extra foot or two will come in handy.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
You may be able to find a small enclosed trailer, take the axles off, and set it on the upper deck - you would have to add some trim to fill in the fenders, but it might be easier than starting from scratch.

Im curious what the frame on the trailer is made of. My 30 ft gooseneck (30 ft deck) weighs about 4K with decking, and two 7K axles. I think its two 10" I-beams, and cross members out of 3" channel every 2'. It doesn't seem to over-built for the wight it carries.

I don't see how yours could weigh so much less.

See the problem is I want to make the upper deck the sleeping area (the roof will be close to the bed) and the lower deck the living area (so you can stand up shower etc) so I cant just put a trailer on it because it needs to step up in the front.

The trailer is (2) 10 inch I beams and am not sure of the cross members but there is no decking on it yet (waiting to get the living quarters figured out) so it will weigh alot more as time goes on.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I think if you are adding 5 feet to the back you'll need to move your axles back also. While you're doing that you might as well add enough length to still be leagal, but more comfortable. An extra foot or two will come in handy.

Ya I thought about that, it wont take much to move the axles, a friend of mine works as a welder for a manufacturing plant here in st george so it wont be hard to do what ever I want/need done.

R

rockdog

What axles are under it? Two or three? This might be the deciding factor in what you do. My goose was a twenty four foot with the beaver. I cut the beaver off and extended it three feet. That made the deck twenty seven feet. I carry our two toyota trucks on it, but have to stack one over the other to verily get them both on. It has two seven thousand pound axles. They are ok for the weight of the two trucks but I found I had to go up to a 14 ply tire to keep em alive. Your gonna be a lot more weight than mine. So consider axle ratings and tires in the equation too.

See the problem is I want to make the upper deck the sleeping area (the roof will be close to the bed) and the lower deck the living area (so you can stand up shower etc) so I cant just put a trailer on it because it needs to step up in the front.

The trailer is (2) 10 inch I beams and am not sure of the cross members but there is no decking on it yet (waiting to get the living quarters figured out) so it will weigh alot more as time goes on.

Put a popup (w/o wheels) on the upper deck, and then you don't have to lengthen the lower deck.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
It has (2) 7000 pound axles, with 14 ply tires on them, I can always add an axle, its not hard to do. My rig weighs in at just under 3000 pounds, my wifes is a fully dressed 4-runner (4500 pounds?) I need to take everything over and weigh it to see exactly where I am but still think if I am "thrifty" I can get it in at around 14,000 max with everything done.....maybe its wishful thinking, I dont need luxury living quarters but do want to be self contained so I really dont want to go the popup tent route (need shower) and I have thought really hard about the camper thing but my deck is 8 feet wide so I feel like it is a waste of space to put one on the deck because they are so cramped in the lower area where they are meant to fit between the wheelwells of a truck. I really like the one that guy on pirate has I just need one that fits 2 rigs. This is the one I am trying to base my from.

Attachments

• Stappin%27Cabin-II.JPG
    Stappin%27Cabin-II.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 71
Popup tent trailers have showers...(that's what I meant by popup)

It's low enough collapsed to not be a problem when towing, cranks up nice and big, and would fit perfectly on the upper deck. And has a shower, toilet, stove, sleeping for 6 or 8, etc.

Bart

You know that rig looks like a fifth wheel trailer with some mods. I've thought of doing that too. Just find a short one and mount it and re-plumb the holding tank outlets. Also thought of the little Itasca Toyota motor homes because they are short. Buy one, remove the camper part, plug the hole in the front, sell the truck to recoup some funds. You'd even end up with a side entrance where you could add some permanent fold out steps. There are a lot of ways to go here. I'm interested to see the finishe product.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You know that rig looks like a fifth wheel trailer with some mods. I've thought of doing that too. Just find a short one and mount it and re-plumb the holding tank outlets. Also thought of the little Itasca Toyota motor homes because they are short. Buy one, remove the camper part, plug the hole in the front, sell the truck to recoup some funds. You'd even end up with a side entrance where you could add some permanent fold out steps. There are a lot of ways to go here. I'm interested to see the finishe product.

That trailer was a gooseneck trailer. The owner took it to a camp trailer mfg. and they made the front right on the trailer. Thread on PBB is "Stabbin' Cabin" or "Stapin Cabin".

Bart

Awww, got it. I'm saying you could prolly buy a used 5th wheel, build some mounts, remove the axles and hitch, and set it up there cheaper than having one made. But then again, I'm cheap.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Awww, got it. I'm saying you could prolly buy a used 5th wheel, build some mounts, remove the axles and hitch, and set it up there cheaper than having one made. But then again, I'm cheap.

I've thought of that more than once. :D I wonder about weight of something like that, and if I could stand to tow it or not. It'd be pretty cool when you got it setup somewhere, though.

Bart

Yeah, you'd almost need another single trailer so you wouldn't have to haul the big one all the time. Or possibly a beeg fork lift.

Meat_

Banned

I wouldn't want to haul that much weight on a 5th wheel frame.

Bart

I'm guessing one of these RV units without the drive train or axles will weigh about the same as a rig. They haul that kind of weight all the time on a gooseneck trailer. I don't see much difference.

Meat_

Banned
The RV 5th wheels rely partially on the structure for the strength, also the weight is spread out instead of concentrated in 4 patches. In addition to that, I view all RV frames as inadequate from the factory ;)

Bart

Who said they were going to mounted on 4 patches or corners? I'd prolly leave the bottom framework on and set that on my gooseneck if I ever did that conversion.