The questionable and sad future for 4X4s

2BACJ

SS
There is something that bothers me about the trends that SUVs have been following recently. It comes down to three things that are troubling.

1. Independant rear suspension. More and more suvs are going IRS. Just last night, I was glancing a consumer reports magazine at my buddies house. Now, I know consumer reports means jack to most of us here, but many people who don't know anything about a vehicle read it and judge vehicles by what consumer reports or other rating-type magazines have to say about them. Anyways, they were talking about the new Ford explorer. They were saying how it was so refined, smooth, and well layed out. And then it got to the IRS part. I quote "a welcome improvement that improves ride quality and handling substantially over other SUVs on the market." If that wasn't enough, I got to my favorite SUV, the Toyota 4runner. What they said will trouble my mind forever. They said that the runner was an elderly SUV, with a jittery truck like ride in need of some improvements. They continued to bash on the runner, which is still a cabable, true SUV. IRS, it's coming to the SUV world headstrong.

2. Unitary Frame Construction. Many SUVs are now leaving the separate body and chassis design, and switching to the Unitary construction. The new Range Rover coming out, has done a full on switch from seperate frame and live axles, to Fully independant suspension and the Unitary subframe design. Talk about a 180 degree turn. I was also reading my 50 years of Detroit book, and there is a concept vehicle in it that would possibly replace the TJ. It has fully independant suspension, and a unitary chassis. It is called the Icon. No more swapping bodies onto different frames, as well as other draw backs.

3. Transfer cases. Many SUVs don't have two speed t-cases any more. And more and more, these tcases are becoming electronically or computer operated, unlike the traditional gear or chain operated tcases.

I don't know what you all think, but these three things bother me. What are we going to hack and modify with in the future? It just bugs me that several years down the road, is that everything could basically be a big, all wheel drive car, that handles better on wet roads or light wheeling, but won't be able to handle much more than that when it comes to offroad. I just hope that manufacturers will still build real 4X4's for people that want a capable off the lot machine, and then build the grocery wagons for those who only care about having all wheel drive and a soft cushy ride. But, what do I know? What do you guys think will be in store for our future 4X4s?:confused:

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i really see a sad future for us. i am a fan of the suzuki samurai but lets face it, it has been over ten years since their heydey and numbers of useable zuks are diminishing at a frightening pace. the cherokee is now moving into the same retirement home in south florida:mad: :mad: if we lose the wrangler.....what is left? there are only so many toyota solid axles that we can swap into other light rigs. they ended about the same time as samurais were having their big boom and bust. land rover following suit just makes one more vehicle that wont be in any of the richy rich doctor's wheeling collections. dodge flaked out on us and went the way of IFS for their lighter full size rigs but that is only a sign of things to come. Ford has been pussy footing around the solid front axle issue for years now but who know when they are going to give up on true grit!! 20 years from now i forsee the demise of a lot of our ability to build capable rigs. sure their are plenty of axles to be had in junkyards but how many of those rigs are crushed every day. for me and my house we are going to have fun as long as we can. we are a resiliant bunch of wheelers in this country, we will make do with whatever is given us. maybe the future is custom 10000$ axles from avalanche engineering heaven forbid!!!:D

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Explorers and other similar viehicles are for soccer moms, and people that want a full size car with all wheel drive. But I'm afraid that every SUV will eventually come with independent suspension on all corners. The Liberty was just the begining for Jeep. We will probably have to get parts from full size trucks for future rockcrawlers. We will probably have to pass our rigs down to our kids, kids just to give them a good place to start from. The future for past time has no foreseeable direction, because so far the only major mfg that even looks our direction is Jeep.

grinch

inner city redneck
I see the future getting bleak for a good while. Then getting better. One day the soccer moms will get tired of the sport ute and quit buying them just like minie vans and station waggons. After this the only people buying the big trucks and Utility vehicles will be the farmers, construction workers, ect. Then the manufacturers will start building platforms to suit are needs agine.
Itleast I hope this happens....

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
The biggest change in SUVs or kinds of SUVs is the cherokee to a liberty. The cherokee to me was the best SUV to take diggin. I was so upset when they changed. It was so easy to get any part you wanted on it and so many chooses of aftermarket parts. I for one will never go IFS. I sure hope they bring back the cherokee.

D60

Originally posted by Andy
We will probably have to get parts from full size trucks for future rockcrawlers.

I was thinking the same thing. Shaved diff from a dump truck anyone? It may not be as bleak as we think, we may just have to start looking toward commercial vehicle wrecking yards rather than consumer yards. Sure, some of the diffs are huge but there's more options out there than you think. Zambonis (I know, I know already determined on POR that they're rare), forklifts, street sweepers, skidders, hell even tractors. Let's not forget the XJ has always been unibody.
Hummers (H1's) and other military vehicles show promise, too. Sure they don't flex but I'd argue they're targeted more at "our" market than even Jeep, but not our price range of course. And if the Rubicon actually comes out all that may change, too. Still, the Rubicon won't be diesel, won't have a factory fording kit, incredible skidplating w/drivetrain tucked flush, or Central Tire Inflation.
The H2 took a step in the right direction w/the Eaton rear locker but a step backward in just about everything else. The Toys w/electric rear lockers are sweet too, of course. Unimogs have lots of cool things going for them except for their size (and they're rare here).
Ford's SuperDuties are still encouraging, esp now that all '02 models get a D60 front diff rather than the D50. Will Ford cave and go IFS?? I wouldn't be surprised :( , but on the bright side the SuperDuties have gotten lots of positive press in publications like Four Wheeler. And speaking of the press, I agree that Consumer Reports is a total joke!

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Well if gets, and probably will get that bad in the future. People may have to start looking north for the rust buckets sitting in peoples back yards, and farms ect., for axles and the like. Where I was in Northern Michigan there was all kinds of 4x4s laying around, from Toys to old Jeeps ,Chevys, Fords ect. for decently cheap. That is if you don't mind putting new braking systems and such on them. Most of them don't have the best body's, but some do. Up there was easy to find an old 4x4 or parts, out here is a hell of alot harder, everybody is still driving them. And when you do find one it usually won't go for under a grand unless there is no motor. And for being from up there I have a hard time parting something out when the body is completely solid.